Being Human is a Risky Business
Lately, I have been reading The Myth of Certainty by Daniel Taylor before I retire for the evening. The book is expository in nature and easy to read. However, there are times I can only read a few paragraphs due to the author's depth of writing. Last night I encountered the following two paragraphs:"No significant area of life is free from risk. It is a key ingredient in every accomplishment and every relationship. Whenever a decision is required, there is risk. Wherever we must act, there is risk. Wherever people intertwine their lives, there is risk. Should we expect it to be any different in our relationship with transcendence? Why should we insist on being certain about God, on having proof of His existence, or on having unmistakable absolutes on which to build a faith when none of these is compatible with being the finite creatures God has created?
If risk is...at heart of all meaningful relationships between people, then we should not be chagrined or embarrassed to find it also at the heart of the relationship with God. Believers have always been risk-takers (how else does one explain Abraham or Bonhoeffer?). Perhaps it's because God Himself has been a risk-taker; witness His decision to create humankind and then make Himself one with us." (pg. 96)
Maybe I should select "lighter" reading before I fall asleep!