A Compromising Quasi-Luddite
I did it. I started a blog. I fought the temptation for a long time. But I have succumbed to the pull of virtual reality.
I know... this is not like me. I'm a quasi-Luddite. I am often suspect of technological advancements. I get very annoyed when industry forces humans to consume its products. We are pushed to buy the next gadget because the old one isn't available anymore and the new one is touted to be superior. Our nation keeps on buying, consuming, and throwing used goods in the nearest landfill.
Yet, I've started a blog. Why? Good question...
In many ways, a blog goes against my nature. Here I am, alone, at a lap top, typing away a message to who knows who. Someone may read it. Yet, for all I know, my thoughts will become electrical impulses reverberating in a digital world without any REAL person ever giving my introspection a second glance. Hey, I rather get together with a friend in real time and space and muse about life over a cup of coffee.
However, connecting with people in real time and space is not always a reality. Therefore, I need a space for my reflections, albeit virtual. I need a potential readership for my authorship, even if this "paperback" collects dust on a used book rack. I need a framework to be intellectual, especially since my day consists of using simple sentences when talking to my beautiful baby daughter (and it is a delight to talk to her!). And yes, sometimes, I NEED to be alone...
So here I am, posting my inaugural blog entry. I am looking forward to this journey. You are welcome to join me.
(A compromising quasi-Luddite's afterthought... if you would like to read an excellent critique of technology, I would highly recommend picking up Ursula M. Franklin's book "The Real World of Technology".)
I know... this is not like me. I'm a quasi-Luddite. I am often suspect of technological advancements. I get very annoyed when industry forces humans to consume its products. We are pushed to buy the next gadget because the old one isn't available anymore and the new one is touted to be superior. Our nation keeps on buying, consuming, and throwing used goods in the nearest landfill.
Yet, I've started a blog. Why? Good question...
In many ways, a blog goes against my nature. Here I am, alone, at a lap top, typing away a message to who knows who. Someone may read it. Yet, for all I know, my thoughts will become electrical impulses reverberating in a digital world without any REAL person ever giving my introspection a second glance. Hey, I rather get together with a friend in real time and space and muse about life over a cup of coffee.
However, connecting with people in real time and space is not always a reality. Therefore, I need a space for my reflections, albeit virtual. I need a potential readership for my authorship, even if this "paperback" collects dust on a used book rack. I need a framework to be intellectual, especially since my day consists of using simple sentences when talking to my beautiful baby daughter (and it is a delight to talk to her!). And yes, sometimes, I NEED to be alone...
So here I am, posting my inaugural blog entry. I am looking forward to this journey. You are welcome to join me.
(A compromising quasi-Luddite's afterthought... if you would like to read an excellent critique of technology, I would highly recommend picking up Ursula M. Franklin's book "The Real World of Technology".)