Gifts of Crisis, Gifts of Grace
"Please pray for me," your Nana asked mid-afternoon. "I have a terrible flu."
"I will Daddy," I responded while saying a quick prayer in my head. It's the flu. It will pass. How serious could it be?
Then I received word late evening. Your Nani was in panic. Your Nana's condition had gone critical. He was struggling to breathe. His lungs were filling up with fluid. He was literally drowning.
The ambulance was called. A faithful friend accompanied Nani to the emergency. Another friend stayed with your frightened Mausi as we live three hours way. An hour past. I sent out frantic e-mails for prayer. Good news arrived. Nana's condition was stabilizing. All seemed well?
24 hours later I received another phone call. "Your Dad isn't doing well. It is very serious. He's been intubated. Prepare for the worst."
How does one prepare for the worst?
I started to pack a suitcase. Your Daddy cancelled my sub call for the next day and started creating sub plans for himself. I was restless all night, with phone beside me. I fell asleep for a few moments and woke up in a cold sweat. My stomach was going haywire. I read scripture, trying to find comfort. I was terrified. Then at 2 a.m., when our water softener's regeneration cycle kicked in, all I could manage to pray was "Regeneration! Regeneration! Regeneration! -- Oh God, regenerate his breathing, his lungs, his heart!"
We started to drive as early as we could get out. The trip was somber. No music. You kids were admonished to speak in muted tones. My mind was racing with worst case scenarios. What funeral home will I need to call? Will your Nani and Mausi come live with us? How do I prep their house for sale while living in another city? I can't believe this is happening! So soon? I'm not ready for this!
But who ever is?
We arrived in your Nana & Nani's city and dropped you two off at your Grandparents' home. Your Daddy and I managed to swallow a few bites for lunch. I was scared as we went to pick up Nani. I broke down in tears when I saw her, "If it is his time to go, what can we do? He is in God's hands." Nani wept, "I don't know what I will do if he is gone!"
We composed our emotion and headed to the hospital. I hate hospitals the best of times, let alone the worst of times. I grasped your Daddy's hand as we walked down the grave halls. We passed through the doors of ICU. And then I saw your Nana. He was sitting up. He was breathing through the aid of an oxygen mask. He was talking! I didn't think I'd hear his voice again!
Your Nana is a fighter. Apparently he had pulled out his trachea tube around 3 a.m., the same time our water softener's regeneration cycle was running. That's when the Holy Spirit prompted me to pray "Regeneration!" Your Nana was partially sedated when he self-extubated, but then began responding well to an oxygen mask. Wow.
Over the next week, several gifts of crisis were showered on our family. Yes, gifts of crisis, gifts that we would not have experienced unless we all walked through your Nana's near death experience. Gifts that were precious because of the painful context. Gifts that are evidence of God's tangible acts of intervention. Gifts that we don't deserve because of our human goodness or our family's faith tradition. Rather, gifts of GRACE.
So I testify of this GRACE:
"I will Daddy," I responded while saying a quick prayer in my head. It's the flu. It will pass. How serious could it be?
Then I received word late evening. Your Nani was in panic. Your Nana's condition had gone critical. He was struggling to breathe. His lungs were filling up with fluid. He was literally drowning.
Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God. (Psalm 69: 1 - 3)
The ambulance was called. A faithful friend accompanied Nani to the emergency. Another friend stayed with your frightened Mausi as we live three hours way. An hour past. I sent out frantic e-mails for prayer. Good news arrived. Nana's condition was stabilizing. All seemed well?
24 hours later I received another phone call. "Your Dad isn't doing well. It is very serious. He's been intubated. Prepare for the worst."
How does one prepare for the worst?
I started to pack a suitcase. Your Daddy cancelled my sub call for the next day and started creating sub plans for himself. I was restless all night, with phone beside me. I fell asleep for a few moments and woke up in a cold sweat. My stomach was going haywire. I read scripture, trying to find comfort. I was terrified. Then at 2 a.m., when our water softener's regeneration cycle kicked in, all I could manage to pray was "Regeneration! Regeneration! Regeneration! -- Oh God, regenerate his breathing, his lungs, his heart!"
We started to drive as early as we could get out. The trip was somber. No music. You kids were admonished to speak in muted tones. My mind was racing with worst case scenarios. What funeral home will I need to call? Will your Nani and Mausi come live with us? How do I prep their house for sale while living in another city? I can't believe this is happening! So soon? I'm not ready for this!
But who ever is?
We arrived in your Nana & Nani's city and dropped you two off at your Grandparents' home. Your Daddy and I managed to swallow a few bites for lunch. I was scared as we went to pick up Nani. I broke down in tears when I saw her, "If it is his time to go, what can we do? He is in God's hands." Nani wept, "I don't know what I will do if he is gone!"
Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me. Hear me, O Lord; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies. And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily. (Psalm 69: 14 - 17)
We composed our emotion and headed to the hospital. I hate hospitals the best of times, let alone the worst of times. I grasped your Daddy's hand as we walked down the grave halls. We passed through the doors of ICU. And then I saw your Nana. He was sitting up. He was breathing through the aid of an oxygen mask. He was talking! I didn't think I'd hear his voice again!
Your Nana is a fighter. Apparently he had pulled out his trachea tube around 3 a.m., the same time our water softener's regeneration cycle was running. That's when the Holy Spirit prompted me to pray "Regeneration!" Your Nana was partially sedated when he self-extubated, but then began responding well to an oxygen mask. Wow.
Over the next week, several gifts of crisis were showered on our family. Yes, gifts of crisis, gifts that we would not have experienced unless we all walked through your Nana's near death experience. Gifts that were precious because of the painful context. Gifts that are evidence of God's tangible acts of intervention. Gifts that we don't deserve because of our human goodness or our family's faith tradition. Rather, gifts of GRACE.
So I testify of this GRACE:
- Several relationships were re-connected through the incident. Relatives began talking to each other. Long lost friends made phone calls. My brother's faith in God was reignited in a new and fresh way that was beautiful to witness.
- A family friend assisted us through our visits in ICU. She used to work as a nurse in the hospital Nana was admitted into. She became a vital liaison for our family.
- A Brazilian nurse assisted your Nana through the worst of the crisis. She accompanied Nana via ambulance for his angiogram, which came back negative for any artery blockage (though revealed a weaker heart). She was a Christian and prayed for your Nana. She looked like your Nani when she was young.
- Several family members received 2 Kings 20 as encouragement, specifically the story of King Hezekiah's request to extend this life after a health crisis. The same prayer showed up in your Nana's book of prayers during his time in ICU.
- Your overseas Mausi saw a man in her church who looked very much like Nana. She was compelled to pray for Nana and mentioned her desire to see him alive again. Almost immediately after, she received word of Nana in the hospital. A week later, she and her family arrived to encourage Nana.
- As mentioned, all of Nana & Nani's children, in-laws and grandchildren arrived over the course of a week to provide moral support. We were not supposed to see each other until next year.
- This is the first time while living in my city that I received overwhelming support, prayers and well-wishes from several, several people who live and work here. In the past, I've often felt alone here save for a few close friends. Experiencing this crisis has underscored that there are more people who care about me in this city than I realized.
Now I thank you, dear reader. Thank you for your prayers then and now. Thank you for your prayers for my children's Nana, who will have a long road of recovery ahead, but was given an extension on his life for God's glory. Thank you for your prayers for my family, as we now figure out how to go forward with these health challenges.
And thank you dear Lord for the gifts of crisis, the gifts of grace.
I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs. The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God. (Psalm 69: 30 - 32, emphasis added)