One Day...
One day I would like to preach a sermon for a good thirty minutes. Sadly, I don't have any Bible School training. And I know ever so little about hermeneutics or exegesis in comparison to your seminary trained Daddy. Regardless, I'd like to expound a passage of scripture after weeks of study and share what God has placed on my heart for that moment. Today, I can finally allow myself to imagine such an opportunity, as when I was a little girl, I bemoaned my gender because I believed women couldn't preach. My paradigm has shifted now. While I cannot claim to be brilliantly eloquent or profoundly insightful, I still think I have something to offer my listeners if such a privilege was entrusted to me. Maybe one day.
One day I would like to write a novel. It isn't a deep passion of mine in comparison with other beloved people in my life. Neither am I gifted in weaving creative tales or spinning fantastic plots. My writing is kind of run-of-the-mill... sort of ordinary... mostly academic. But I do have stories to tell. Sometimes the words run around in my head, endlessly, as if some person is rattling off an intriguing soliloquy (no, I am not schizophrenic). I gotta find a moment or two to get those words down on virtual paper. Not really for some grand publishing scheme. But for you two to read someday.
One day I would like to photograph a wedding. Not to make a career of it and have all my weekends booked from May to September. But to say that I did it. Stupid reason, I know. However, capturing a wedding seems like the ultimate achievement of a photographer. Of course, I'd probably botch some of the camera settings or get the lighting all wrong or forget something important (and never get hired again). But I gotta stop letting my fears overtake my silly dreams today.
My daughter, you know that I have a one day list in my head. It tends to do with tasks or renovations around our house. I'll say things like, "One day I'd like to convert our wood burning fireplace to gas." Or, "One day I need to sort my school supplies that were stashed under our stairs five years ago!" Or, "One day I should empty out our storage closet and paint it." I often end my "one day" sentence with, "But today is not that day."
Tomorrow, I aim to create a "one day" kind of a day. Don't worry, I am not going to preach a sermon, write a novel or photograph a wedding tomorrow. Neither will I attempt to renovate something or complete a long forgotten task. Rather, you kids and I will do some "one day" kind of things, activities we often shelve for pragmatic tasks. Let's live out some silly dreams and exclaim, "Today will be that day!"