Passion, Frozen & Thoughts on Letting Go

Passion is embracing everything God made you to be. It is being unabashed and unashamed. It is possessing the courage not to be a control freak. It is realizing that you don't have to be "proper" all the time. It is learning to live big and learning to let go. (Be You, Bravely Video Series, MOPS)

My favourite animated movie as of late is Frozen. Yes, I have been slightly sucked in by the Frozen vortex, I have to admit. My daughter, you requested Anna, the younger sister and princess from the movie, which you received as one of your Christmas gifts from us (I was pleased you choose the less popular Princess Anna over the very popular Queen Elsa -- it's so great to see you requesting gifts because you like it instead of what all your friends like). Anyway, why do I like Frozen? First it is set in a country that experiences winter, which is comforting during -25°C days like today when the windchill makes it feel like -37°C (plus they skate in the movie, which is my favourite outdoor winter activity). Second, it challenges many fairy tale romances of meeting at a glitzy ball, "falling in love" and getting married without even getting to know the person (e.g. Cinderella). Third, the man doesn't save the day (I'm not against men, my son, I just don't think men need to rescue women all the time). And fourth, Queen Elsa embraces her gift of ice magic instead of trying to conceal it in an attempt to become someone she was never intended to be. This last reason is probably the main reason I appreciate the movie.

Now let me add a few disclaimers here. I am not endorsing the use of mystical powers. Nor am I encouraging you kids to discard all rules and regulations, throw every ounce of caution to the wind and do whatever you want regardless of the consequences. Nonetheless, there is something powerful about embracing who you were intended to be, acknowledging all the good that you are is through God's creative design, grace and love. There is something freeing about being passionate, unabashed, unashamed. It is empowering to let go and let God.

At my Mom's group this week, we were asked to name five qualities or physical features we enjoy about ourselves. Through a random draw, I was asked to share my list first. I had five things and felt a bit sheepish "bragging" about myself. But I shared through the urging of the facilitator and women around me. However, as the sharing progressed from one Mom to the next, I was amazed on how many women found it difficult to come up with five qualities. A few passed the chance to respond all together. Now, I don't know the reasons for the way people responded. Maybe it was just the wrong time of day or they needed more time to think about what they wanted to share in public. (Or sadly, it may have been very challenging for some women to actually identify what they liked about themselves.) Regardless, I think it is more socially acceptable to mildly berate yourself than mildly praise yourself -- especially in Christian circles. We are told to be humble. We are encouraged to avoid pride. I agree with all that. But I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating our strengths and our bodies, if we acknowledge all our goodness is a beautiful and precious gift from God.

Your Nana painted me a gorgeous watercolor of a garden in China for my 40th Birthday. It was inspired from a photograph I took during my travels and I've always wanted someone to create a painting from it. I have received several compliments on the painting. And my response is usually something like this, "Yes, it is gorgeous isn't it! I love the colors too. It's a picture of a garden I visited in China. And my Dad painted it. He did an amazing job." Note that I praised the creator's work AND the creator. Just as we should acknowledge the beauty in ourselves and the Creator God who placed it there in the first place.

If I had to choose one person in the Bible, with exception to Jesus, who exuded passion, I'd pick King David. He definitely lived his life unabashed and unashamed. David sang, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well," (Psalm 139:14, NIV). I like how the Message paraphrases the words to say, "I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation!" David doesn't complain about the status of his abdominal muscles or biceps. He didn't temper his praise with reminders of how he is such a screw-up at times. He took the time to just praise God for the creation of him. And David took more time to praise the omnipotent and omnipresent Creator. This is not to say David thought he was perfect, as God is perfect. At the end of Psalm 139, he asks God to search his thoughts and lead him in the way everlasting. Psalm 51 is good evidence of the fact that David needed to confess his sin and petition for God's mercy. So, just like there are times to confess our sin nature, there are times to celebrate the beauty God placed in us.

Back to Frozen. The award winning song "Let It Go", which was sung by Queen Elsa's character, includes the words, 
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone!
My eyes often tear up at the words "That perfect girl is gone." Why? Because somehow through the circumstances I experienced as a young girl, teenager and then young woman, I though I had to be perfect. I became a perfectionist as a result, trying to please everyone around me while maintaining high standards in all areas of my life (though my physical weight was out of control only until recently). And while I pulled off the "good little Christian girl" routine pretty well, I struggled with self-righteousness and self-loathing. Either I'd wag my finger at all the sinners out there or I'd criticize myself to the point of low, low self-esteem. Now I realized how self-righteousness and self-loathing are both sins. The first ignores the sin nature that wars inside all of us, the latter slaps God's grace in the face. I still struggle with both. But I am much more aware of the damaging effects of each extreme.

Where do I stand today? I stand deep in God's love, knowing He believes I am beautiful. I lean hard on God's grace, knowing that He will transform me into the likeness of Jesus Christ. I aim to let go and not control me. Instead I resign myself to God's control. I will rise with Him one day, perfected by Him and Him only. I will live with passion, today, tomorrow and for eternity.

I leave you with the ever popular song "Let It Go". Enjoy. 

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now