Exceptional Leaders

in·teg·ri·ty: the quality of being honest and having strong principles; moral uprightness.

group·think: the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.

e·mo·tion·al in·tel·li·gence: the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.

There are times I wonder if institutions or organizations (or dare I say churches) even ponder on what kind of leaders they are hiring. Sometimes it seems like a particular person attained a position of power because of three interconnected reasons: (1) personal connections, (2) the ability to perform well in an interview, and (3) the assurance that the prospective employee will be in sync with the status quo. Of course, qualifications and experience are definitely considered. But even the resume items of education, previous places of employment, prestigious awards, skills and duties fail to quantify crucial attributes such as integrity, honesty, moral uprightness, creativity, judiciousness, and empathy. It is true that character references could elucidate whether or not a prospective leader possesses such attributes. But I am continually surprised how many employers fail to phone references to check up on the soundness of an application! That's ridiculous!

Over the years, I have come to appreciate and value three characteristics of an exceptional leader. First, an exceptional leader will be a man or woman of integrity. She will be honest and transparent. She will possess a sound moral compass. She will own up to her mistakes, seek reconciliation and work towards the best for her entire organization. If her actions continually bring harm to the people she leads, she will resign.

An exceptional leader will also have checks and balances in place that will avoid groupthink amongst his administrative staff or board of trustees. Creativity will be encouraged. The status quo will be challenged not for the sake of change, but rather for increased productivity or effectiveness. Vision statements will be re-evaluate on a regular basis. He will propose ideas with humility, knowing that even though he may be charismatic, powerful or inspirational, his ideas are subject to constructive criticism. After all, one way to show his followers that he respects them is to allow them to disagree without demeaning their character or punishing them.

Lastly, an exceptional leader will be a man or woman of high emotional intelligence. She will control her emotions. She will handle relationships judiciously with a high dose of empathy. She will listen before she speaks and speak with thoughtfulness.

There are days I aspire to lead in the educational field. Back in my undergraduate years, one of my Educational Administration professors wrote on one of my assignments that she wouldn't be surprised if I become a Superintendent at a Board of Education. While I was honored at her dreams for me, I shook my head at such a possibility. I didn't think I could handle the stress and sacrifice to get to that point. (Plus I tend to be a person who worries too much of what others thing of me. Though, with time, age & life experience, I worry less.) However, today, I wonder if God wants me in such a position someday, somewhere. If so, I trust Him for the opportunity and the equipping.

In the meanwhile, I am convicted on how I lack some of the above qualities in my journey as a parent. Do I have high emotional intelligence as a leader in my home environment? Do I foster creativity in my day-to-day interactions with you, my children? Sadly, there are days I fail miserably.

But thankfully, you two are so forgiving and extend much grace to me. Thank you for letting me lead. And I pray that I will train you to be exceptional leaders (and followers who actually think) where ever you find yourself in this world.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now