Gluten Free?
It has been over a year, and I am still struggling with acid reflux. In January, I was diagnosed with GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, were stomach acid causes damage to the esophagus. I was told to make some lifestyle changes such as avoiding fatty foods, citrus, caffeine, mint, and spicy foods. In addition, I was prescribed Nexium, a proton pump inhibitor (shuts down some of the acid pumps in the stomach), and Ranitidine, commonly known as the over-the-counter (OTC) drug Zantac.
Sounds good?
No, not really. Why? Because I still don’t feel 100% normal.
When I approached my M.D. with my concerns, she informed that this may be chronic and some relief is better than no relief. And if I experience larger attacks, I should just up my medication and add more OTCs to my day.
Drugs, drugs, drugs. Not my style.
I decided to see a Naturopathic Doctor in August. I walked away from the appointment with hope. I was impressed with her holistic approach. The appointment was not just about my acid reflux, but also about my emotional health as well as the other ailments in my body (and the appointment was 1 hour 15 minutes in length). Furthermore, the purpose of the consultation was to find the root of the problem instead of just treating the symptoms.
Refreshing.
Here was her “prescription” for the next month:
1. Rhizinate 3X (extra-strength deglycyrrhizinated licorice) 20 minutes before meals (coats the esophagus and stomach)
2. Probiotic two times a day
3. High dose of Vitamin D daily
4. Herbal Calm, when needed (for anxiety)
5. Increase protein consumption at breakfast (handful of nuts or egg to stabilize blood sugar levels during the day)
6. Increase the height of the bed at my head (helps acid drain during the night)
7. Practice relaxation techniques through mindful meditation and breathing exercises daily (to reduce anxiety)
8. Read When Panic Attacks by Dr. David Burns
After about a week of working on the above, I was encouraged to wean myself off my prescription drugs. I was warned that I would go through withdrawal symptoms and my acid reflux may be worse for a while, which was the case (apparently, according to my limited research, Nexium is intended to be prescribed for a maximum of six weeks, after which it can do more damage than good. Scary!).
It has been almost a month since I last saw my Naturopathic Doctor. For the most part, I have been off Nexium, though I had a really bad attack last week that drove me to take it for three days. I still take Ranitidine off and on to help me sleep at night. However, I still experience a low burn in my chest most days.
So, I have decided to be more drastic before my next Naturopathic appointment in October. I will try (try!) to give up gluten. Ugh. Why? Because a lot of people with my condition, who aim to treat the symptoms more naturally, benefit from eliminating gluten, and dairy (oh no…), from their diet. Since I just can’t let go of dairy yet (and no professional has told me to do so at this point), I will stick to eliminating gluten and see how I feel.
Yesterday, I baked a delicious batch of banana chocolate chip muffins for my family, and I almost cried, because they look so good. I LOVE breads! It took much will power to stick to my decision and turn away. Oh, how I wanted to lick the batter bowl clean!
Sacrifice. It’s hard. And inconvenient. Not to mention expensive. (And it will make future family gatherings a bit challenging.) But, if I feel better, and live a more healthy life as a result, it is worth it.
Dear Lord,
Grant me self-control. Wisdom. Joy. And healing.
Love,
Your temporarily (I hope) gluten-free daughter
Sounds good?
No, not really. Why? Because I still don’t feel 100% normal.
When I approached my M.D. with my concerns, she informed that this may be chronic and some relief is better than no relief. And if I experience larger attacks, I should just up my medication and add more OTCs to my day.
Drugs, drugs, drugs. Not my style.
I decided to see a Naturopathic Doctor in August. I walked away from the appointment with hope. I was impressed with her holistic approach. The appointment was not just about my acid reflux, but also about my emotional health as well as the other ailments in my body (and the appointment was 1 hour 15 minutes in length). Furthermore, the purpose of the consultation was to find the root of the problem instead of just treating the symptoms.
Refreshing.
Here was her “prescription” for the next month:
1. Rhizinate 3X (extra-strength deglycyrrhizinated licorice) 20 minutes before meals (coats the esophagus and stomach)
2. Probiotic two times a day
3. High dose of Vitamin D daily
4. Herbal Calm, when needed (for anxiety)
5. Increase protein consumption at breakfast (handful of nuts or egg to stabilize blood sugar levels during the day)
6. Increase the height of the bed at my head (helps acid drain during the night)
7. Practice relaxation techniques through mindful meditation and breathing exercises daily (to reduce anxiety)
8. Read When Panic Attacks by Dr. David Burns
After about a week of working on the above, I was encouraged to wean myself off my prescription drugs. I was warned that I would go through withdrawal symptoms and my acid reflux may be worse for a while, which was the case (apparently, according to my limited research, Nexium is intended to be prescribed for a maximum of six weeks, after which it can do more damage than good. Scary!).
It has been almost a month since I last saw my Naturopathic Doctor. For the most part, I have been off Nexium, though I had a really bad attack last week that drove me to take it for three days. I still take Ranitidine off and on to help me sleep at night. However, I still experience a low burn in my chest most days.
So, I have decided to be more drastic before my next Naturopathic appointment in October. I will try (try!) to give up gluten. Ugh. Why? Because a lot of people with my condition, who aim to treat the symptoms more naturally, benefit from eliminating gluten, and dairy (oh no…), from their diet. Since I just can’t let go of dairy yet (and no professional has told me to do so at this point), I will stick to eliminating gluten and see how I feel.
Yesterday, I baked a delicious batch of banana chocolate chip muffins for my family, and I almost cried, because they look so good. I LOVE breads! It took much will power to stick to my decision and turn away. Oh, how I wanted to lick the batter bowl clean!
Sacrifice. It’s hard. And inconvenient. Not to mention expensive. (And it will make future family gatherings a bit challenging.) But, if I feel better, and live a more healthy life as a result, it is worth it.
Dear Lord,
Grant me self-control. Wisdom. Joy. And healing.
Love,
Your temporarily (I hope) gluten-free daughter