Memories of Yellowstone

Old Faithful - spouting every 90 minutes or so!

We made it. Safely. We were fourteen family members celebrating an anniversary milestone for my parents. We arrived from three countries to spend four nights in cabins, two intense days touring Yellowstone National Park while having one memorable time. Our personal family unit added over 1600 km to our odometer as we traversed prairie, ranch country, foothills, and mountains. Thankfully, all within budget. :)

Truthfully, I never had a real desire to see Yellowstone National Park. I assumed it was like any other national park in Canada: mountains, lakes, rivers, rock (repeat). And while I absolutely revel in immersing myself in natural wonders, I didn't feel the need to drive across the border to explore something similar.

But this park in Wyoming, U.S.A. was the more economical central location for everyone, can-you-believe-it.

Thus, we drove down. Once we experienced some of the park's famous features, I realized this place was very unique (and we only scratched the surface as to what we saw). Yellowstone National Park is an active super volcano. Yup. The largest of its kind. Eeeekkkk. As such, the park is filled with all kinds of geothermal phenomena such as geysers, sulphur pits, and bubbling cauldrons of mud.

Kids, I doubt that you will remember much from this trip. But, here are your top three favourites from the park:

My daughter:

1. The little bear cub
2. The green caterpillar
3. The waterfall in Canyon Valley

My son:

1. The bison
2. The "dragon cave" (a cave where steam and other gases reverberate off the walls to sound like a dragon within)
3. The "mud volcano" (bubbling cauldron of mud)

In addition, your Daddy, being the Chemistry teacher, marvelled at viewing yellow stone, or sulphur, cliffs. And I was glad to tick "Old Faithful" off my bucket list. ;) (Just joking - that wasn't on my bucket list. I don't even have a bucket list! But since the park is known for the faithful geyser, it was a must see for me.)

There are also a few random things I learned or appreciated through the course of our entire journey there and back. I share them with you:

1. Muffins are a useless snack to pack, especially if you plan to eat them a couple of days later. I tried to freeze them and then thaw them out in the cabin. But they ended up sort of soggy and gross. What a waste of baking! On the other hand, I brought a homemade banana loaf, which was a hit with the family.

2. Small children can survive long road trips without DVD or iPhone technology. Yes, it is true people! We did not have such. Rather we loaded our car full of books, coloring books, crayons, toys, music, and snacks. We took breaks approximately every 2.5 hours by frequenting parks, playgrounds, malls, or restaurants. For the most part, you two were happy.

3. I am so thankful for my kitchen's new peninsula counter top. I. Am. So. Thankful. I worked for four days with minuscule counter space and it was very frustrating. It is amazing that I didn't break anything!

4. It was a sincere pleasure to plan this celebration event in cooperation with my siblings (your Mausies, Mausa, and Mamu). Each sibling embraced a particular responsibility and accomplished it well. While things were not perfect and some changes needed to be made, the overall celebration flowed smoothly. I hope and pray that you two will have a chance to plan some event together. It is truly a bonding experience.

5. I don't like mice. But what can you do? When you are in the middle of Shoshone National Forest, a mouse (or two?) may enter your cabin. Yuck.

6. Even good drivers and good navigators can get lost. I thank God for landmarks and maps when things go awry. "Why did we cross an interstate? There isn't supposed to be any interstate for miles!!! Uh-oh... I think we are driving into some one's driveway. This is not right." My husband and I now smile when the lyrics of "Lost Together" by Blue Rodeo grace the airwaves. Warning: Billings, MT is confusing when it comes to its roads, to say the least. Driver, beware.

7. The Canadian prairies appear so lush and green after travelling through dry ranch land. Though Lewistown, MT was a delightful reprieve from the surrounding sparse landscape.

Lastly, my funniest memory is the milk incident at my Parents' Anniversary Dinner:
People are ordering drinks while I'm entertaining my newest nephew away from the table while chatting with another waiter. Our waitress approaches me.

"He said you will order for them," she states.

"Two white milks for them," I reply, assuming she was implying that your Daddy wanted me to order drinks for you kids.

Drinks arrive and two white milks are placed in front of your Nana and Nani.

"I didn't want milk!" your Nani exclaims while looking between the waitress and I.

"But you said they wanted milk," the waitress explains to me.

"Oh no. The milk is for our kids. I am so sorry. They want red wine - cabernet sauvignon," I fluster. Thankfully, my mistake was corrected.

It was a great trip. I am inkling to travel to Yellowstone National Park again when both of you are old enough to actually hike. I'd like to get some solid hikes in before I turn 50! My bones are beginning to feel old.

If Yellowstone still exists, that is...

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now