Jetways & Organization

Cuddling with Little J.
Dear Kiddos,

One of my favourite experiences in life is walking through a jetway and boarding a plane destined to some faraway location. I still experience kid-like excitement over rolling carry-on baggage behind me, hearing the high pitched whirl of engines, and breathing air tinged with the smell of jet fuel. I smile almost every time!

Just a couple of days ago, I returned from a weeklong visit with my sister (your Mausi*) and her family in the States. It was a delight to be airborne once again and even more refreshing to spend some quality time with my sister, her husband, and their three sweet boys. Yes, it was indeed an honour to cuddle the littlest boy, your newest cousin, while he is still an infant.

During my time there, many a thought scintillated my psyche. Here are a couple.

On Jetways. I really hope that both of you have a chance to travel internationally. I have a dream that someday, 8 - 10 years from now, your Daddy and I will take you on an international adventure to not only experience the exotic and foreign, but to also serve within different cultural milieus. Currently, I envision taking a semester off from your formal education during your junior high years to learn via trains, planes, and automobiles. God providing, we will visit the lands of your ancestry, including sites in Europe and locations in India. We'd volunteer and serve and minister to others in and outside the Global Church alongside our overseas family and denominational missionaries. We'd stand in awe of God's creative power by viewing some Wonders of the World. The possibilities are endless! In the end, we, your parents, desire for you to understand how your First World status and Love for God the Father necessitates generosity to those in desperate physical and spiritual need. We also hope you will gain an appreciation of where you came from and what your forefathers and foremothers had to sacrifice to provide you with the prosperity you now live in. And, we want you to know, that in spite of the ugliness and sorrow in the world, there is also innumerable moments of beauty and joy. Oh one day this dream will come true!

On Organization. Within the course of a week with my sister, I found myself pointing out many instances of excellent organization in various contexts. I guess I did it so much that it became a bit of a joke. I realized that I, your mother, really value organization. Your Nani* had a saying that she often repeated to me when I was growing up: "Uchee thura see kaume karo, or naye karo" which transliterates as "If you are going to work, do it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all!" This philosophy was applied regardless of the type of work. It didn't matter if you were washing dishes or solving a math problem or presenting a speech. Don't do a half-a** job! Do the BEST that you can do, and go beyond and do something extra. I guess this way of thinking has effected how I view the organization of events, programs, and ministries. If things seem thrown together at the last minute with little or no thought on how certain elements with influence others, it causes a negative head shake on my part. However, I am realizing more and more that organization is not every one's strong suit, even if excellence in planning is expected as part of one's job description. God's gifted me in administration, especially when it comes to planning an event or preparing a presentation. But it may not be your gift. And that's okay. That being said, I still expect you to do the best that you can in everything that you do.

It is good to be back with both of you and your Daddy as we prepare for the Christmas season. Thank you for being great little grandchildren as you enjoyed time with your Grandma & Grandpa and Nani & Nana while I was away. And hopefully, one day, all four of us will walk through a jetway together. I just need to get organized before then!

Yours in travel and administration,
Mommy

*For my readers out there: Mausi means "Auntie who is Mother's sister" and Nani means "Maternal Grandmother".

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now