Needed: Real Friendships for WEIRD Homemaker
Dear Lord,
It has been a little over two years since we moved to this geographic location. And while I feel settled for the most part, there is another part of me that feels anxious. I long for authentic connections with others.
But first, I must thank you that you have provided me contentment in being a stay-at-home Mom. I wear my job description as a badge of honor and privilege. You have blessed me with two beautiful, energy-packed, normal children – one of each gender – a special gift of grace to my husband and I. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. It is liberating that I don't feel like I need to tout my academic credentials in the face of others, as some stupid way of making myself feel worth it. Now I understand more clearly: I am a Homemaker. That's more than good enough for me.
However, I sometimes feel alone in this journey and wish for past days of camaraderie, when I associated with fellow educators of the same faith in a distant land (best two years of my single life, I thank you Lord!). True, in the here and now, you have lead me to some amazing women, whom I count as dear friends and kindred spirits (and who actually stop by this blog for a read – thank you dear friends!). Yet, I long for a few more deeper relationships in my life (especially as one friend moves cities).
It is difficult developing new relationships in a smaller community. In this (red) neck of the woods, people have known each other for years and tend to have their friendship plates full. Hey, people just don't have time to invest in more relationships! On top of this, I often feel like the "odd duck" in the room when I am mingling with a circle of Moms. I'm brown. Practically everyone else is white. I'm a science/math geek with a fairly academic/analytical mind. Most of the stay-at-home Moms I've met hate my subjects of choice with a capital "H" and rather do crafts. I have travelled outside the country and have had the privilege of living in another culture. The Moms I know here do not have much international experience at all (except the Moms I've met who are Newcomers to Canada and D. – you've surpassed me!). I will decline product parties 90 - 95% of the time (as you know Lord, I have some issues with this method of sales). Unfortunately, this seems to be the number one way of connecting socially with other women where I live! And, like my husband, I am skeptical of (and at times strongly against) trendy Christian books, social media sites, and black & white stances on issues. Let's face it, trendy Christian books do well here, almost everyone is posting status updates, and politically, this is an extremely Conservative riding! I'm a non-traditional, semi-domestic, quasi-Luddite, skeptical-realist, multi-cultural homemaker. I guess I am just plain WEIRD around here. Thankfully, I married the right man, because he is just as weird as me!
So what does my heart desire, Lord? I desire that you will take me, and all the oddness I possess in comparison with the vast majority of stay-at-home Moms I've met, and lead me towards authentic, genuine relationships with others. May I be open to stepping out of my comfort zone. May I be willing to embrace others of different faith and mindsets. May I take risks and not be offended when others do not reciprocate. And may I remind myself of my past experiences, that often my BEST friends in this journey called life were people I didn't originally envision myself connecting with at all (like my husband). Therefore, I need to lean hard on your Holy Spirit for guidance. In the meanwhile, I will facilitate get-togethers in my place of residence, arrange coffee-dates with other women, and accept non-sales invitations into homes (unless I really, really need to buy a particular product or you, Lord, prompt me to attend) as a way to keep open to your leading. And I trust that YOU will lead.
Love,
Rain
It has been a little over two years since we moved to this geographic location. And while I feel settled for the most part, there is another part of me that feels anxious. I long for authentic connections with others.
But first, I must thank you that you have provided me contentment in being a stay-at-home Mom. I wear my job description as a badge of honor and privilege. You have blessed me with two beautiful, energy-packed, normal children – one of each gender – a special gift of grace to my husband and I. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. It is liberating that I don't feel like I need to tout my academic credentials in the face of others, as some stupid way of making myself feel worth it. Now I understand more clearly: I am a Homemaker. That's more than good enough for me.
However, I sometimes feel alone in this journey and wish for past days of camaraderie, when I associated with fellow educators of the same faith in a distant land (best two years of my single life, I thank you Lord!). True, in the here and now, you have lead me to some amazing women, whom I count as dear friends and kindred spirits (and who actually stop by this blog for a read – thank you dear friends!). Yet, I long for a few more deeper relationships in my life (especially as one friend moves cities).
It is difficult developing new relationships in a smaller community. In this (red) neck of the woods, people have known each other for years and tend to have their friendship plates full. Hey, people just don't have time to invest in more relationships! On top of this, I often feel like the "odd duck" in the room when I am mingling with a circle of Moms. I'm brown. Practically everyone else is white. I'm a science/math geek with a fairly academic/analytical mind. Most of the stay-at-home Moms I've met hate my subjects of choice with a capital "H" and rather do crafts. I have travelled outside the country and have had the privilege of living in another culture. The Moms I know here do not have much international experience at all (except the Moms I've met who are Newcomers to Canada and D. – you've surpassed me!). I will decline product parties 90 - 95% of the time (as you know Lord, I have some issues with this method of sales). Unfortunately, this seems to be the number one way of connecting socially with other women where I live! And, like my husband, I am skeptical of (and at times strongly against) trendy Christian books, social media sites, and black & white stances on issues. Let's face it, trendy Christian books do well here, almost everyone is posting status updates, and politically, this is an extremely Conservative riding! I'm a non-traditional, semi-domestic, quasi-Luddite, skeptical-realist, multi-cultural homemaker. I guess I am just plain WEIRD around here. Thankfully, I married the right man, because he is just as weird as me!
So what does my heart desire, Lord? I desire that you will take me, and all the oddness I possess in comparison with the vast majority of stay-at-home Moms I've met, and lead me towards authentic, genuine relationships with others. May I be open to stepping out of my comfort zone. May I be willing to embrace others of different faith and mindsets. May I take risks and not be offended when others do not reciprocate. And may I remind myself of my past experiences, that often my BEST friends in this journey called life were people I didn't originally envision myself connecting with at all (like my husband). Therefore, I need to lean hard on your Holy Spirit for guidance. In the meanwhile, I will facilitate get-togethers in my place of residence, arrange coffee-dates with other women, and accept non-sales invitations into homes (unless I really, really need to buy a particular product or you, Lord, prompt me to attend) as a way to keep open to your leading. And I trust that YOU will lead.
Love,
Rain