Thankfulness #22: Tandoori Chicken Skewers & Fall
While the Autumnal Equinox is still days away, the Fall season has begun where I live. The nights are cool and crisp, leaves are embracing colors other than green, and children (along with teachers, of course) are loading backpacks with back-to-school treasures.
And I am thankful.
There is something comforting about routine. While I enjoy the leisurely pace of long summer days combined with all the natural blessings of being outside, I equally appreciate Autumn when I divert my attention to formally and intentionally educating my children during their stage of preschool.
In our household, we have seasonal menus. It isn't anything official, but rather the way I tend to cook. As soon as it is warm enough to sit outside (usually mid-May), our summer menu begins. Our family BBQs (or grills) as much as possible. I rarely use my oven unless I am baking muffins or cookies. For instance, yesterday we prepared Tandoori Chicken Skewers for visiting family and tonight we are having a wiener roast with friends (and a couple of days ago I made Roll Kuchen for the first time!!!). Once our local hard ice cream store opens for the season, we are there once a month for a treat. It is quite delightful! Now, I eagerly anticipate transitioning into my winter menu. Roasted chicken or beef, pumpkin pies, mashed potatoes with gravy, hearty soups, and Kofta Curry (East-Indian Meatball Curry, which I aim to learn this year) are just some of the dishes that warm up our stomachs and house!
As my farewell to summer, here is my version of Tandoori Chicken Skewers. Of course, the quantities are estimated because I usually just dump and mix without measuring. Furthermore, my recipe is quite mild in spice levels to accommodate Caucasian tolerance levels! :) As a result, feel free to tweak the amounts to get is just right for your taste buds.
Tandoori Chicken Skewers
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup honey garlic BBQ sauce (we use Diana Sauce)
1 tablespoon tandoori masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon mashed garlic
1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
2 small limes, cut into wedges
For another version of Tandoor Chicken Skewers, check out the recipe here. I credit my photo image to this site.
And I am thankful.
There is something comforting about routine. While I enjoy the leisurely pace of long summer days combined with all the natural blessings of being outside, I equally appreciate Autumn when I divert my attention to formally and intentionally educating my children during their stage of preschool.
In our household, we have seasonal menus. It isn't anything official, but rather the way I tend to cook. As soon as it is warm enough to sit outside (usually mid-May), our summer menu begins. Our family BBQs (or grills) as much as possible. I rarely use my oven unless I am baking muffins or cookies. For instance, yesterday we prepared Tandoori Chicken Skewers for visiting family and tonight we are having a wiener roast with friends (and a couple of days ago I made Roll Kuchen for the first time!!!). Once our local hard ice cream store opens for the season, we are there once a month for a treat. It is quite delightful! Now, I eagerly anticipate transitioning into my winter menu. Roasted chicken or beef, pumpkin pies, mashed potatoes with gravy, hearty soups, and Kofta Curry (East-Indian Meatball Curry, which I aim to learn this year) are just some of the dishes that warm up our stomachs and house!
As my farewell to summer, here is my version of Tandoori Chicken Skewers. Of course, the quantities are estimated because I usually just dump and mix without measuring. Furthermore, my recipe is quite mild in spice levels to accommodate Caucasian tolerance levels! :) As a result, feel free to tweak the amounts to get is just right for your taste buds.
Tandoori Chicken Skewers
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup honey garlic BBQ sauce (we use Diana Sauce)
1 tablespoon tandoori masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon mashed garlic
1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
2 small limes, cut into wedges
- Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 3-cm cubes and place into large bowl.
- Add the next seven ingredients into the bowl. Mix and coat the chicken.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers.
- Place the skewers into a sealable container and pour the remaining sauce from the bowl on top of the skewers. Cover and refrigerate for 3-5 hours for optimal flavour.
- Grill on BBQ at medium heat, turning occasionally, until done.
- Serve with lime wedges, basmati rice, and naan.
For another version of Tandoor Chicken Skewers, check out the recipe here. I credit my photo image to this site.
