Thankfulness #16: My Christmas Card to You
Ever since my husband and I said our nuptials, we sent out a picture of our family as the annual Christmas card. Sadly, not this year. I tried, really I did, to get that perfect shot! And it happened! But for reasons too complicated to explain, the picture never materialized. Thus, no card to grace your fridge this year. Sorry.
I have debated on whether or not I should go through the effort of writing in paper cards, addressing them, and sending them through the mail system to arrive at my dear friends' doors. I've hummed and hawed and wondered if the cards will suffer the fate of my cards: displayed for a while, a few sentimental ones saved for years, still others cropped for scrapbooks or crafts, and the others, well, placed in the recycle bin. Save for the short moment of joy one receives to open Christmas mail, why should I bother? Of course, there are other reasons I avoid the task such as the additional cost of stamps (tighter budget this season) and the lack of time (this post took less, I think).
As a result, my decision: except for my family, who will received cards more as a way of holding my children's recent pictures, the rest of my friends will receive this blog post as Christmas tribute. More importantly, this post is written to honor the MANY women who have walked alongside me during different times of my life. I am ever so thankful for you. It is only due to God's grace that I have had the privilege to meet each of you.
A. and B., you have been my dearest friends since Junior High. I cherish our friendship, our mutual appreciation of the Arts, and our shared experience over many years!
C., thanks so much for giving me hope during my single days and encouraging me during my early moments of motherhood. You give generously and serve passionately.
B., you took me into your home and made me feel like family during a time when I felt the most alone in life. I know we haven't seen each other for SUCH a long time. Just know I've never forgotten your kindness.
J., I know we don't talk much. Or stay in contact much. But every time we do talk, it's like time stood still. Please know how much I value our friendship and our shared ethnicity.
R., you are gone to your heavenly home. It still seems so surreal. Thank you for choosing me as your friend. See you on the other side.
To all my sisters in the Orient, as well as the phenomenal women I served aboard with: I sincerely appreciate your hospitality, your friendship, and your sense of adventure. Those years were the highlight of my single life! D., you were an excellent roommate!
S., we've been through so much (I love you Miss H!). And it is GREAT that we are experiencing the same season of life together. I cherish the fact that I can talk to you about marriage, motherhood, education, and spirituality!
G. and L., I am so glad I met you in the world of academia. Both of you are brilliant! And uplifting. :) We gotta do Japanese again!
D., being mentored by you was a gracious provision from the Lord. You were a catalyst for the many changes in my thinking. How I wish we could chat over tea again!
B., you are one of the most courageous women I know. Thank you for letting me walk beside you in the valley. And thanks for praying for my little family. I love you. And miss you. Can we be teaching neighbors again so we can deal with those annoying teens in the hallway?
B. and C., I've inherited you as friends through my husband. I sincerely appreciate the way both of you think. It's so not black and white, which is refreshing. I wish we could chat more about spirituality. And the other mysteries of life.
E., C., K., L., M., and S., your friendship was much appreciated as my husband and I attended a new church. Thanks for celebrating the birth and dedication of our two children. I wish I had more of a chance to get to know each other. All of you are amazing women of God!
A., H., J., M., and R., your new found friendship in this community and our church is such a blessing. Thank you for making me feel welcomed. I smile at the synergy that is created when we are all together! We gotta do it again!
D., you are an amazing sister of Christ with whom I can share a lot of stuff. Thanks for letting me vent. Thanks for your confidence. Thanks for all the play dates. And thanks for settling in this part of the prairies (God, here?!).
L., recently meeting you was breath of fresh air. You are a kindred spirit. You are a prophetess. May God continue to empower you to encourage others.
To my nieces (and precious S.): It is such a pleasure to watch you grow up. And to get to know your hopes and dreams and desires. May God continue to inspire you.
To my dear sister-in-laws and sisters: I love you more than words can EVER express. You are the women I go to first when life is breathtakingly exciting or unbearably difficult (and all the stuff in between). I really do not know what I would do without your prayers.
To my mother-in-law and mother: God knew I needed both you in my life. I love you. And I'm proud to be called your daughter-in-law/daughter.
To our Compassion "daughter": We hope to meet you soon. May the Lord continue to guide you, protect you, bless you, and lead you to Himself. One day, we will meet you in pictures. One day, God willing, we will meet you in person.
Lastly, to my daughter, my precious princess: I know we have our day-to-day battles (and you haven't even hit school yet!). :) But, please know that I cherish you beyond measure. Let's forgive each other for all our mistakes. Remember, always, that you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Merry Christmas to all of you beautiful, strong women. May the Hope found in Christ Jesus enrich your lives into the New Year.
I have debated on whether or not I should go through the effort of writing in paper cards, addressing them, and sending them through the mail system to arrive at my dear friends' doors. I've hummed and hawed and wondered if the cards will suffer the fate of my cards: displayed for a while, a few sentimental ones saved for years, still others cropped for scrapbooks or crafts, and the others, well, placed in the recycle bin. Save for the short moment of joy one receives to open Christmas mail, why should I bother? Of course, there are other reasons I avoid the task such as the additional cost of stamps (tighter budget this season) and the lack of time (this post took less, I think).
As a result, my decision: except for my family, who will received cards more as a way of holding my children's recent pictures, the rest of my friends will receive this blog post as Christmas tribute. More importantly, this post is written to honor the MANY women who have walked alongside me during different times of my life. I am ever so thankful for you. It is only due to God's grace that I have had the privilege to meet each of you.
A. and B., you have been my dearest friends since Junior High. I cherish our friendship, our mutual appreciation of the Arts, and our shared experience over many years!
C., thanks so much for giving me hope during my single days and encouraging me during my early moments of motherhood. You give generously and serve passionately.
B., you took me into your home and made me feel like family during a time when I felt the most alone in life. I know we haven't seen each other for SUCH a long time. Just know I've never forgotten your kindness.
J., I know we don't talk much. Or stay in contact much. But every time we do talk, it's like time stood still. Please know how much I value our friendship and our shared ethnicity.
R., you are gone to your heavenly home. It still seems so surreal. Thank you for choosing me as your friend. See you on the other side.
To all my sisters in the Orient, as well as the phenomenal women I served aboard with: I sincerely appreciate your hospitality, your friendship, and your sense of adventure. Those years were the highlight of my single life! D., you were an excellent roommate!
S., we've been through so much (I love you Miss H!). And it is GREAT that we are experiencing the same season of life together. I cherish the fact that I can talk to you about marriage, motherhood, education, and spirituality!
G. and L., I am so glad I met you in the world of academia. Both of you are brilliant! And uplifting. :) We gotta do Japanese again!
D., being mentored by you was a gracious provision from the Lord. You were a catalyst for the many changes in my thinking. How I wish we could chat over tea again!
B., you are one of the most courageous women I know. Thank you for letting me walk beside you in the valley. And thanks for praying for my little family. I love you. And miss you. Can we be teaching neighbors again so we can deal with those annoying teens in the hallway?
B. and C., I've inherited you as friends through my husband. I sincerely appreciate the way both of you think. It's so not black and white, which is refreshing. I wish we could chat more about spirituality. And the other mysteries of life.
E., C., K., L., M., and S., your friendship was much appreciated as my husband and I attended a new church. Thanks for celebrating the birth and dedication of our two children. I wish I had more of a chance to get to know each other. All of you are amazing women of God!
A., H., J., M., and R., your new found friendship in this community and our church is such a blessing. Thank you for making me feel welcomed. I smile at the synergy that is created when we are all together! We gotta do it again!
D., you are an amazing sister of Christ with whom I can share a lot of stuff. Thanks for letting me vent. Thanks for your confidence. Thanks for all the play dates. And thanks for settling in this part of the prairies (God, here?!).
L., recently meeting you was breath of fresh air. You are a kindred spirit. You are a prophetess. May God continue to empower you to encourage others.
To my nieces (and precious S.): It is such a pleasure to watch you grow up. And to get to know your hopes and dreams and desires. May God continue to inspire you.
To my dear sister-in-laws and sisters: I love you more than words can EVER express. You are the women I go to first when life is breathtakingly exciting or unbearably difficult (and all the stuff in between). I really do not know what I would do without your prayers.
To my mother-in-law and mother: God knew I needed both you in my life. I love you. And I'm proud to be called your daughter-in-law/daughter.
To our Compassion "daughter": We hope to meet you soon. May the Lord continue to guide you, protect you, bless you, and lead you to Himself. One day, we will meet you in pictures. One day, God willing, we will meet you in person.
Lastly, to my daughter, my precious princess: I know we have our day-to-day battles (and you haven't even hit school yet!). :) But, please know that I cherish you beyond measure. Let's forgive each other for all our mistakes. Remember, always, that you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Merry Christmas to all of you beautiful, strong women. May the Hope found in Christ Jesus enrich your lives into the New Year.
