Thankfulness #15: Ever So Domestic

There are moments, like today, when I wonder, "Is this it? Is this how my life is supposed to enfold?" I sit at my lap top, sipping a steamed milk. The "clickity-clack" of the keys meld with the hum of my refrigerator full of food. My two precious children blissfully sleep in our beautiful home while their father, my dear husband, contentedly takes in a hockey game downstairs. Outside, our little city is quiet, serene, almost invisible except for the shadows of homes and the orange glow of streetlights.

Life is predictable. Normal. And ever so domestic.

I remember having a discussion with my sister a few years back. My husband and I were at the cusp of change. Employment seemed elusive in our previous urban center. A move was imminent. "You know, I would rather move overseas than to a dinky town in the middle of the prairies!" I exclaimed. My sister laughed at my words.

And now I find myself here. Here! Stay-at-home-mother-of-two, single-income-single-car family living in a predominately "White" center mainly surrounded by supportive friends of the same faith.

Life is predictable. Normal. And ever so domestic. (I guess I forgot to mention I kind of like it?)

But there are moments when I covet the lives of other women. The women who write novels/books and speak at seminars. The women who have hundreds and hundreds of followers on social media/blog sites. The women who spread the gospel of Christ to the poor in exotic countries with their children in tow*. The women who lead thriving organizations or birth exciting enterprises that change the course of history. The women who find the time to share the love of Christ with the downtrodden in the community. The women who

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Y
es, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” (John 21:15)

Suddenly my moments of coveting come to an abrupt halt. Do I love Christ more than my dreams of tomorrow, my ruminations of the future, my desires for another life that was never intended to be mine?

"Yes, Lord," I say, "you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

And then I see the faces of my kids. Her mischievous hazel eyes twinkle like stars. His brown eyes are deep with wonder and curiosity. I realize and remember, once again: the Lord entrusted my husband and I with these two glorious children. And as their Mother, my number one job, today, and tomorrow, and for a very long time, is to LOVE these kids passionately. This is my divine calling for TODAY.

Life is predictable. Normal. And ever so domestic. I thank God for it!

*C., thanks for your story of homeschooling your children while on the field! It put things into perspective for me! Ah, the misconceptions about the glorious missionary life...

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now