Happily Losing It!
I'm losing it! I'm actually losing it! Not my mind, but those last few post-pregnancy pounds that I need to shed before autumn hits. Weight loss was much easier after the birth of my first child. But the second time around has been difficult. I finally got myself to "5 more to go" before summer hit. Then I went to visit family. OH NO! All the desserts and yummy food added two more wretched pounds to the scale. I was discouraged and frustrated.
Thus, a couple of weeks ago, I got serious. I started to track my calorie intake via myfitnesspal. I increased the intensity of my weekly exercise by jogging three times a week for 25-30 minutes. And I became more consistent in drinking my daily quota of water. The result? I've lost four pounds in two weeks! :) It is possible!!!
There are a few things that I have learned about reducing calories through this process:
In the end, I don't see this as a diet, but rather a lifestyle change. I need to exercise more. I need to eat smaller quantities*. And I need to make wise dietary choices that are essential for my health. And if I lose a bit of it along the way, well, that's an added bonus.
*And aside... People tend to consume more calories when they go out to eat. Here is a restaurant tip I learned from my in-laws: To avoid eating too much, order from the senior's menu (if allowed) or the light eater's menu. Often you can get the entree you desire but in a smaller, more appropriate, serving size.
Thus, a couple of weeks ago, I got serious. I started to track my calorie intake via myfitnesspal. I increased the intensity of my weekly exercise by jogging three times a week for 25-30 minutes. And I became more consistent in drinking my daily quota of water. The result? I've lost four pounds in two weeks! :) It is possible!!!
There are a few things that I have learned about reducing calories through this process:
- Watch your condiments. All those little things like salad dressing, jams, mayonnaise, sour cream and butter add unnecessary calories to your daily quota. If you must indulge, read you labels to watch what you are consuming and switch to lower fat or lower sugar varieties. Though, spoken from an organic approach, I rather have a tiny amount of pure maple syrup than a whole tablespoon of the chemically enhanced "low calorie" variety.
- Pasta and dairy is loaded. Wow! It is amazing how much calories are in pasta and diary products. I am not much of a pasta eater, so consciously eating less of it isn't a problem for me. But I love dairy and refuse to drink skim milk or eat "fat-free" yogurt. Bleh! Thus, I am enjoying lower fat dairy options.
- Watch your serving sizes. North Americans have the reputation of eating too much at one sitting. Solution? Eat less, but eat more often throughout the day so you don't gorge yourself at a particular meal.
- Embrace lean protein. Chicken and fish have much less calories than beef and pork. Legumes and beans are even leaner.
- Avoid drinking your calories. I heard a dietitian say the other day, "Juice is just pop with vitamins." Eat the fruit instead to benefit from the much needed fibre.
In the end, I don't see this as a diet, but rather a lifestyle change. I need to exercise more. I need to eat smaller quantities*. And I need to make wise dietary choices that are essential for my health. And if I lose a bit of it along the way, well, that's an added bonus.
*And aside... People tend to consume more calories when they go out to eat. Here is a restaurant tip I learned from my in-laws: To avoid eating too much, order from the senior's menu (if allowed) or the light eater's menu. Often you can get the entree you desire but in a smaller, more appropriate, serving size.
