Rambling... About Her
At four months, she made her first international trip. And when she met her relatives on the other side of the border, she impressed them with her verbal feats. I recall her squealing at the top of her lungs, entertaining the admirers around her.
Now she is speaking in full sentences and experimenting with English grammar. Sometimes her attempts are perfect. Other times her mistakes make us giggle. But we love it. Love it all! And I especially smile with delight when she throws in a Hindi word in the middle of an English sentence. "Hosucktaha, it's downstairs." (Translation: Maybe, it's downstairs.)
"I like treats and prizes," she stated in a matter-of-fact tone one day. We were discussing her potty training triumphs. And she reminded me, once again, that she enjoys being rewarded for her accomplishments. Hey, who doesn't like treats and prizes! "I pooped twice last night! And I didn't even cry!" Good for you, sweetie. I am proud of you, really I am, even though I am laughing.
Then I hear myself being mimicked by my daughter. One morning, after being reprimanded for some strong-willed action, she fell into a heap on the floor. "I'm frustrated!" she emphatically exclaimed as her lower lip formed an irresistible pout. Hmmmm, I wonder where she learned that word. Or there was the time she banged her fist on a bunch of stickers that didn't want to lift off the page. "This is NOT working!!!" she yells. Okay, okay, I guess I sound like that.
She has a way of melting our hearts (and making our blood boil, but I'll focus on the melting right now). She has been her Daddy's little girl from the beginning. Sometimes the only person who can calm her down in the middle of the night is her Daddy. Last week, my husband entered the house after a long day at work trying to motivate teenagers to learn about chemical bonding. And her first words to him were, "Daddy, I woke up last night and I was missing you." A smile spread over my husband's weary face. And all the days worries lifted off his shoulders. His daughter missed him last night.
My babies were born in spring. And I love that fact. Because I cherish spring and all the newness of life it offers. Thus, for my daughter's special day, I decorated our dining room with bright flowers and ribbons in hues of purples, pinks, and greens. The room was complete with a flower patterned table cloth and a rose bowl filled with rocks and a purple gerber daisy. When she woke up and viewed the adornment, her eyes widened with excitement. After the day's festivities came to an end, she said with sincerity, "Mommy, thank you for doing this." What a beautiful gift of words. :)
We are now planning to celebrate our son's entrance into the world, one year ago. How times flies. I am very thankful that my children are growing up. But I am sad as well. Kind of strange. I am filled with so many mixed emotions right now. Nonetheless, my daughter is excited to mark another milestone in her brother's life. "Actually, we can go to the Dairy Queen. You, me, Daddy and J. And I can have ice cream, strawberry ice cream!" Sounds like a plan, honey, a GREAT plan. "Look! A skid steer! Maybe we can get it and drive to town!" Okay dear, whatever you say...
