My Generous Orthodoxy

My husband claims that he is a Post-Evangelical Neo-Anabaptist. He came up with this denominational category during his University days. At the Catholic Outreach booth, he filled a survey to get a free New Testament. He was asked to classify his Christianity. Since none of the options sufficed, he created a new version under "Other". Not wanting to be part of the negative stigma created by many Evangelicals, yet still desiring to adhere to his Anabaptist leanings, he added "Post" and "Neo" to existing types. Very creative!

What denomination am I? Good question. Some days I am not sure because I have been exposed to many varieties under the Evangelical umbrella. In the theme of Brain McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy (A book I still mean to read someday), I compose this post.

I am Brethren. I believe in the priesthood of believers and sometimes wonder if a pastor is even necessary. After all, if we all used our God given talents appropriately, there will always be someone to preach and teach. That person does not have to be paid. Thus, instead of devoting a sizable chuck of the church budget towards payroll, more money can be used towards missions. I cherish partaking in communion, or the "Breaking of Bread", every Sunday in a service especially dedicated to this sacrament. There is something beautiful in remembering Christ's death and resurrection every time the Brethren gather. There is something mystical in sitting in silence during this service as the men of the church speak in accordance to the Holy Spirit's leading. And there is something comforting in knowing we are traditionalists who attempt to interpret scripture literally. (My Father grew up Brethren, thus this is the denomination that influences me the most.)

I am Pentecostal. I believe in exuberant worship. We shouldn't be ashamed to clap our hands, sway our hips, and shout "Hallelujah!". And there is nothing like a resounding "Amen" to punctuate a key point in a energetic sermon. And I am awed with God's ways of communicating when someone speaks a word of exhortation that is meant just for me. (I grew up in rural region of our province where the only choices of churches were Catholic or Pentecostal. Our family choose the Pentecostals.)

I am Alliance. I appreciate structure, order, predictability, and vision. I feel secure in an environment where no one is rolling on the floor because they were "Slain in the Spirit". Yet, I value the opportunity to come to the altar to be anointed with oil in the event of sickness or crisis. I am part of a larger community of believers who hold our bread and "wine" until we can partake together. But, I also enjoy being part of a small group consisting of individuals in the same stage of life. (Once our family moved to an urban setting, my parents opted to attend an Alliance Church since it provided better programming for their children.)

I am Methodist. It is beautiful to participate in a blend of contemporary worship and ancient liturgy. I value approaching the altar to partake in the elements of communion while receiving a whisper of a reminder from the pastor, "Rain, this is the body and the blood of Christ shed for you." (It is especially meaningful when my name is mentioned.) I need opportunities to be pushed out of my spiritual box to consider other valid viewpoints. Thus, it is good for me to accept that women can be pastors. I can take a Salsa dance class in the foyer. And some of Coldplay's songs make beautiful opening hymns! (My husband and I attended two Methodist churches after we got married. One was much more modern in its ideas while the other was more traditional. What is written in this paragraph is a blend of both ends of the spectrum.)

I am Mennonite Brethren. I appreciate being part of a larger community of believers that extends beyond churches to include Bible Camps, Bible Schools, and Christian organizations dedicated to humanitarian work. I get excited when we make intentional connections with our community such as partnering with schools, the food bank, the Mennonite Central Committee, and Mothers of preschoolers. It is assuring to know that my daughter could be an elder in the church if God so leads. Furthermore, my spirit resonates with non-violent solutions to global conflicts. (Our family has elected to attend a Mennonite Brethren (MB) church in our new community. My husband has MB roots.)

I am a Christ Follower. In the end, I don't really care if I am associated with a particular denomination. What I really care about is that I am known as a Christ Follower, a Christian in the truest and purest sense. I desire for my life to be filled with a love for God and others that is unexplainable. I pray that my eyes will be open to the needs around me, and that I will be able to meet them with God's strength and perseverance. I do not want to be controlled by the fear of the unknown. Instead, I wish to be overcome by a healthy fear of God, which promises to bring wisdom. My heart longs for so much more, but I'd be writing forever. Thus, I conclude. (I'm curious. If you had to create a denomination for me, what would it be?)

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now