Stop It and Sit Down!

Finally a day came when the rain clouds were blown away and the cheery sun warmed the autumn soil. Off to the park we go!

It was quite the production to get everyone out the door. Baby was fed and adorned in cozy fleece outerwear. Daughter was dressed and told to wait while seated on the bottom step. Suddenly, one of our neighbors decided to stop by to welcome us to our new dwelling. During our chat, my son started to freak out on his play mat. After saying farewell to our neighbor, I rushed up the stairs to place my son in the baby carrier. The little girl was still waiting in the entrance of our home.

He screamed louder as I tried to stuff him into the carrier. My frustration rose. "Why can't this kid just CALM DOWN?" The closet door rattled below. "DON'T touch the closet!" I shouted down. My son's scream reached dangerous decibel levels while the closet continued to rattle. Why did I say we'd go to the park?!? "STOP IT AND SIT DOWN!" I yelled. I heard a small thud as a little bottom hit the floor.

"Mommy," a muffled voice echoed from below, "I'm in the closet!"

Giggles overtook my body. My son was still screaming. I replied, much more gently, "Well, wait there until I'm done."

Later that morning, my son, my daughter and I were laying on the grass in our backyard. The cool breeze was fragrant with the smells of grass clippings and fallen leaves. I sighed with joy as I enjoyed the sight of lazy clouds floating across a cerulean blue sky. The fluttering green leaves of our towering trees framed the calm scene. My rosy-cheeked son was having the time of life as he cooed at the view. My daughter nuzzled between her brother and I. For a moment, we were ALL content. For a moment I forgot all the things that I needed to do and just focused on God's beauty.  For a moment, I stopped worrying about it all and sat down to enjoy God's precious gifts in my life.

Hopefully you will have the chance to stop it and sit down today. :)

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Psalm 46:10-11

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now