This Moment

I was settling down for a quick afternoon nap. The sound of rain drops were in the background. A comforting sound, a sound that took me back to a more leisurely time in my past. I was living and working in south-east Asia. It was a typical Saturday morning during the rainy season. The hum of the air conditioner filled the background of my flat while water was steadily pelting against the window pane. I had slept in. My time to recover after a busy week of teaching. Except for an assignment or exam to grade and some self-relegated housework, the day was mine for the taking. What to do, weather permitting? Walk down to the local bakery for a yummy coconut bun and then take a stroll in the park? Catch the mass transit rail to engage in bargain shopping at one of the many markets? Hop a bus to a semi-tropical hiking destination and bask in the sounds of nature? Meet a friend for supper at an ethnic restaurant of our choice amidst the stunning skyline of the city? Or curl up with a good book and a glass of iced jasmine green tea? The choices were endless.

I was single. No boyfriend, no husband, no children. I was a career woman, living the life that many people envied. Yet, if you took a peek at my journal entries at the time, you would discover that I longed for this moment. I desired a husband, first. Then a family. And since meeting the man of my dreams seemed like a distant reality, I wouldn't even let myself hope for children.

Fast forward ten years. I am settling down for a quick afternoon nap. The sound of rain drops are in the background. A comforting sound, a sound that complimented the delightful coos of my son. I am living in a small city, by global standards. It is a typical afternoon during this stage in my children's lives. The hum of traffic fills the background of our condo while water is steadily pelting against the window pane. I am trying to catch a few minutes of sleep. My time to recover after a busy morning with two children. Except for laundry, dishes, and meal preparation, the day is mostly dedicated to engaging with my dear husband and two children. What is there to do? Walk up and down the stairs with kids to either change a diaper, grab some play dough, or feed the baby? Catch my daughter as she dashes toward an open door because she wants to go outside, again? Hop up and down to silly songs? Meet a friend in the comfort of our living room since it is difficult to get out these days? Or try to snatch a few moments to read while downing a hot cup of tea? The choices are so different than before!

Nonetheless, I will relish the memories of my past, especially of my adventures in Asia. I hope and pray that God will grant me new dreams and desires for the future. In the meanwhile, I am thankful for this moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now