I've joined a step aerobics class at one of our local Leisure Centers. The last time I was enrolled in a step class was ten years ago! I have noticed a few subtle differences in the last decade. First, in the beginner class category, there is a 5:2 ratio of yoga classes to step classes. Second, the step class includes several strengthening exercises that are yoga inspired. Third, the relaxation music utilized during the final stretch session is reminiscent of sounds that gently drift out of a Hindu or Buddhist temple. Lastly, phrases such as "inhale the positive, exhale the negative" are used. I do not have a problem with my step class. It invigorates me, especially since winter temperatures and icy streets have dampened my joy of walking outdoors. However, I am fascinated how yoga has gained momentum in Western society. Yoga inspired clothing chains, such as lululemon athletica , are a testament to this fact. Also, I am wondering, is yoga a fitness activity, a spiritual ...