Embracing 40: Year 4
Here is the update on my Embracing 40 Goals...
1. Learn to play the piano. My daughter's lessons are becoming more challenging, to the point that my husband has taken over monitoring her lessons. However, I am still doing my best to learn her key pieces. We are both learning about chord progressions.
2. Learn to read and write either Hindi or Urdu. Maybe I need to give up on this goal... I'd like to learn but motivation is lacking. So sad. I even speak less of the language with my children since they are in school most of the time. When they arrive home, I find it hard to speak complex Hindi/Urdu with them.
3. Travel the world with you two kids and your Daddy. I still dream of taking a trip in 2020. Though, I become more terrified as the date approaches, especially about travelling in the country of my ethnicity. India is such a difficult place to negotiate. It will stretch our families in ways unimaginable. I believe it will be one of those moments in which I have to let go and let God work in us what He needs to do to draw us closer to Him. As for finances for the trip... this is another area where I will have to trust God.
4. Explore the arts through painting, photography and writing. One day??? I do aspire to take a painting class with my daughter.
5. Accomplish a challenging physical feat. After my 10K last year, everything pales in comparison. Though our recent skiing trip counts as a physical feat. It may not be that challenging to attempt a green run for most. But for me it was, especially since my last skiing adventure was 20+ years ago.
6. Read the whole Bible, one more time. Since I have accomplished this goal already, I am working on going deeper in my reading. Currently I am studying Zechariah and finding it incredibly fascinating.
7. Re-establish my teaching career. I currently teach Grade 10 and 11 Mathematics on a temporary part-time contract. I truly appreciate being part-time and enjoy my job for the most part. (My personal goal is to allow students to view the beauty and logic of mathematics and hopefully appreciate a mathematician's worldview.) The temporary part of my position can be disconcerting at times. Our school division will experience deeper financial cuts in the near future, which means my position will most probably be eliminated next year. All I can do is wait and see what God wills.
1. Learn to play the piano. My daughter's lessons are becoming more challenging, to the point that my husband has taken over monitoring her lessons. However, I am still doing my best to learn her key pieces. We are both learning about chord progressions.
2. Learn to read and write either Hindi or Urdu. Maybe I need to give up on this goal... I'd like to learn but motivation is lacking. So sad. I even speak less of the language with my children since they are in school most of the time. When they arrive home, I find it hard to speak complex Hindi/Urdu with them.
3. Travel the world with you two kids and your Daddy. I still dream of taking a trip in 2020. Though, I become more terrified as the date approaches, especially about travelling in the country of my ethnicity. India is such a difficult place to negotiate. It will stretch our families in ways unimaginable. I believe it will be one of those moments in which I have to let go and let God work in us what He needs to do to draw us closer to Him. As for finances for the trip... this is another area where I will have to trust God.
4. Explore the arts through painting, photography and writing. One day??? I do aspire to take a painting class with my daughter.
5. Accomplish a challenging physical feat. After my 10K last year, everything pales in comparison. Though our recent skiing trip counts as a physical feat. It may not be that challenging to attempt a green run for most. But for me it was, especially since my last skiing adventure was 20+ years ago.
6. Read the whole Bible, one more time. Since I have accomplished this goal already, I am working on going deeper in my reading. Currently I am studying Zechariah and finding it incredibly fascinating.
7. Re-establish my teaching career. I currently teach Grade 10 and 11 Mathematics on a temporary part-time contract. I truly appreciate being part-time and enjoy my job for the most part. (My personal goal is to allow students to view the beauty and logic of mathematics and hopefully appreciate a mathematician's worldview.) The temporary part of my position can be disconcerting at times. Our school division will experience deeper financial cuts in the near future, which means my position will most probably be eliminated next year. All I can do is wait and see what God wills.