The Gate

And Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth. I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life of the sheep." John 10:7-11 {Our memory verse for June.}

Our church is teaching through the Gospel of Luke. The purpose of the teaching to exhort us to be disciples of Jesus Christ. Last Sunday's text was the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).

The Good Samaritan parable is probably one of the most familiar parables in the New Testament, among Christians and non-Christians alike. We all know the story. Traveler is robbed. Priest walks by, and does nothing. Levi walks by, and does nothing. A Samaritan walks by, and does something. The message: be like the Samaritan and help your neighbor. Sermon finished. Off we go to lunch.

We have blessed by an dedicated pastoral team who take their role to expound scripture extremely seriously. Our pastor began his sermon on an all too familiar passage with the lawyer's question that inspired the parable: "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Luke 10:25

Inherit? Not earn. Not buy. Not deserve. Inherit. What do we do to inherit anything? Nothing. Someone just needs to die.

Jesus answers the Lawyer's question with a question about the Law. The Lawyer provided the typical "Sunday School" answer, side steps a discussion on loving God and instead asks about his neighbor. Story continues as we know it.

Remember the Lawyer's initial question: "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

What if you are the beat up traveler in the Good Samaritan story? You are broken. You have been cheated and robbed and lied to. You have lied to yourself in believing the world's hollow promise that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want with your own power. You can even save yourself with your "good" deeds, your self-help, your "positive" thinking. Thus you walk with feigned confidence along a dark and dangerous road, thinking you will be all right all by yourself. You are independent and strong.

But you are not. You get attacked on the treacherous road between Jerusalem and Jericho. You are desperately broken, bleeding and dying. You need a Saviour. Religion and good works can't save you (i.e. the Priest & the Levite). You need someone to come along -- someone least expected -- someone that the word despises (and hates) to save you. You need Jesus, our Good Samaritan!

"Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Other than letting Jesus, the Gate -- the one who died for you -- save you.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now