Disconnect

I am in a state of disconnect. We are now plunging into the latter half of 2016 and I know that I am seriously out of touch with the social circles I thought I was part of. This year has been the year of intense service. First, I was part of planning for -- and now settling -- our refugee family. Second, I experienced stress dealing with Dad's health crisis coupled with all the details accompanied with reducing his workload. Third, I poured myself into teaching Gr. 12 mathematics for two intense months. Then I provided care for my intellectually disabled sister in July. And yes, while we have returned from a great holiday with you two kids and your Daddy, I come to this moment utterly spent.

Recently, your Dad and I purchased new smart phones. I'd like to say we were forced into the decision, as we received a letter from our service provider informing us that our archaic flip phone's network would not be supported any longer. But I think the real reason is that more and more people just assume we possess a smart phone (sometimes teachers will text me their substitute teacher requests). Yet, the crazy thing is that people in the "hood" of major centers walk around with smart phones. It has been come a ridiculous necessity when other things which are true needs are ignored. But I digress...

Anyway, the claim out there is smart phones keep you more connected. I would say "Yes. And no," to that claim. Yes, on our trip, it was handy to have a phone that, when connect to Wi-Fi (we don't carry a data plan on our phone), provided us with weather information and maps of our destination. We could keep in contact with our parents who still find comfort in us informing them of our progress along the journey. It was great to receive texts from family and be able to immediately reply to them. Plus I could read the many e-mails associated with my Refugee Committee work instead of being utterly overwhelmed upon returning home (though I forced myself not to respond to them until now as I was on holidays).

But now that I am home, my phone doesn't keep me any more connected with others than life before it. True, I do receive more texts, but it is not like I am inundated with all these texts from all these people that I didn't converse with before. Yes, I could download the Facebook App or the Snapchat App and join the masses on social media. I still adamantly refuse. I relish my anonymity (though people can sometimes track my movements based on other people's pictures, which can be annoying). I honestly don't want to spend more time on that phone than what is necessary (though I can see how I will need self control to not aimlessly surf the net on my phone at home)! And more importantly, I do not want to be addicted. 

I read an insightful article entitled, "Does Technology Connection Mean Life Disconnection" by Dr. Jim Taylor of the University of San Francisco. Dr. Taylor does an excellent job of weighing the pros and cons of technology. But there were two paragraphs that really resonated with me:
Computer and communication technology does and will continue to play a powerful and mostly positive role in our lives. The key for me is that it should provide brief diversions from life and, most importantly, be a tool to enhance our lives, but it should not be the most important part of life or, dare I say, become life itself. Because, for all that this amazing technology has to offer us, it will never, in my view, be a substitute for the life that I remember as a child, however old school and quaint that may seem. 
A final thought... “Face to face interaction creates more than communication. It creates memories. How many discernible and memorable instant messaging sessions can you talk with your friends ...?”
I guess that is what I am desiring right now: real, face-to-face interactions that create memories. Our recent trip with you two kids and your Daddy did just that. We created memories. Now I am longing to experience some authentic conversations with my friends, extended family and my Lord and Savior. I am aching to clear away some space in my busy life as a mother, wife, volunteer and substitute teacher for genuine connection.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now