The Other Side of the Fence

I'm now a every weekday working Mom. I've taken on a part-time temporary position as a Senior Mathematics Teacher at the local high school. I teach Gr. 11 & 12 students, some mathematically gifted, others not so much. For the most part, I am enjoying the experience. 

I think.

This whole experience of teaching has taught me, once again, how I struggle with contentment. As a substitute teacher, I ached for the opportunity to teach while I grit my teeth over supervising another exam or "babysitting" another work period. Now that I teach a new mathematical concept almost every day, I long for the periods when I can rest my voice and brain and just proctor an exam.

Contentment. A very difficult concept to grasp. One I still have not mastered.

Earlier, I had the opportunity to sit down with a Mom of one your KG friends, as you two boys played with great enthusiasm. This lady was quite wise, as she reflected on the state of society. Even though she hesitated to confess a belief in a God, her sense of spirituality was quite astute. She spoke of how we rush, rush, rush, rush -- never enjoying the present moment but thinking ahead to the next item on our mental to-do list. She shook her head on how addicted people are to their electronic devices, how some families don't visit with each other at a restaurant any more, but rather robotically tap away on their screens (children included). She critiqued how materialistic our North American society has become, how bigger is better, how trendy is coveted, and how both partners in a relationship are pressured to work to pay for their over-the-top lifestyles. Through all this, she addressed the epidemic of discontent that threatens to attack our joy. Every day is a gift! Why do we let ourselves get so easily distracted by the other side of the fence?

I walked away from our conversation in a state of gratitude and guilt. I was thankful that I allowed myself to slow down for a moment in time and enjoy the company of this fascinating woman. Yet, I also felt convicted over my discontent in my current -- and future -- employment situation (I'm not sure what to do next year). Why do I continually struggle with finding joy in the now?

Nonetheless, in this brief moment in time, I've been called to teach. I have no idea if this will lead to something more permanent, or if it will be a dead-end career wise. Some days this causes me discouragement, wondering if I will ever land a part-time permanent Math/Science teaching job in a city so small. Other days, I secretly wish for things to go back to my previous stay-at-home status so my house and personal life wouldn't be so out-of-control (it isn't -- but I can't help but feel that some days!). 

But what about today? Today, I choose contentment, with God's grace. I am going to purposefully enjoy this weekend and its accompanying household tasks without worrying to much about teaching students about graphing polynomial functions with special attention to multiplicity. And on Monday? I'll teach with passion and not worry so much about the dishes left on our kitchen counter and the dust accumulating on our furniture. Why? Simple. I don't want to be distracted by the other side of the fence.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now