So... did you read your Bible today?
We were challenged this Sunday to intentionally ask fellow believers if they confessed their need of Jesus today and if they read their Bible today. The speaker wasn't being rhetorical in his challenge, but rather desired for each one of us to ask one person, every day, this week, those hard -- but essential -- questions, until next Sunday. Part of me cringed at the thought, envisioning the whole awkwardness of the scenario, the quasi-judgmental nature of the query. What would a person think if I bluntly asked them, "So... did you read your Bible today? What did you read? Did you pray to Christ that you need Him to save you today?" Whoa... hold on a minute...
My sister is a woman of refreshing candor. I know that eventually, in a face-to-face conversation, she will ask me how I am doing spiritually. Often, she'll phrase it as, "So, how is your heart today?" I know the aim of her sentimental question. She wants me to disclose the deep down "spiritual stuff", the part of life that's focused on following Christ and how that part is really working out.
My sister's genuine question is not prefaced with accusation or under-girded with condemnation. It is posed to assist me, to bring words to my soul expressions, to help distill triumphs of God's grace and pin-point areas where I still need to be saved. Answering the questions is healthy, needed, therapeutic. And I know she will pray for me, through the triumphs and failures.
The Sunday School class your Daddy and I are attending is exploring evangelism, or practical ways to share the good news of Jesus' Death and Resurrection with others. The facilitator offered two common methods of evangelism: the in-your-face direct method, where you jump into a spiritual conversation with a stranger sitting beside you on the place; and the more time consuming friendship method, where you build a relationship over pizza and hockey so you have earned the right to talk about God. Both methods have their pros and cons. Of course, method two, that is "Friendship Evangelism", resonates with me much more.
Yet, the more I think about this whole Evangelism thing, I sigh. I don't like treating people as projects. And this is not to say that if you are engaging in evangelism (as Paul exhorted Timothy to do in 2 Timothy 4:5), you are viewing the person you are evangelizing as "Christian Conversion File #3". However, a person can be tempted to do just that, that is to build a fake relationship with a person for the sole purpose of manipulating the conversation towards spiritual things without truly seeing the person for who he or she is.
I came across a fascinating author a few months ago, namely Rosaria Butterfield, who has written Secrets Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert (a book I have yet to read). As she shared details of her conversion story, she talks of Ken Smith, a Presbyterian pastor, who was instrumental in her choosing to follow Christ at a huge cost to her career and lesbian lifestyle. Ken didn't share the gospel with her through some tract. He didn't invite her to church. He didn't engage in "Friendship Evangelism". But rather Ken and his wife, Floy, were Rosaria's friends. AND, they encouraged Rosaria to read the Bible. It was through a genuine friendship, through the reading of the Word and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit that Rosaria accepted Christ's love and forgiveness.
Now I am not here to discount authentic conversion stories where individuals choose Christ as a result of a "Four Spiritual Laws" university blitz or a friendship evangelism project of an altruistic Christian. But I am realizing more and more that these two methods are not what I naturally gravitate towards. I want to be someone's friend, first and foremost. The friend you are willing to disclose your junk to (yes, even Christians struggle with brokenness). The friend you can celebrate with. The friend who sees your tears. The friend who really knows if Christ is making any sort of difference in the way I live my life now. And I think part of providing a testament about the difference Christ has made in my life is sharing stories of the disciplines God uses in the Christian's life to impart His grace. Prayer. Solitude. Fasting. Sabbath. Service. Worship. Silence. And yes, Confession & Bible Reading.
Now back to my church to wrap this up. I am appreciating the challenge of asking my fellow church-mates if they are intentionally connecting with God through confession and Bible reading. But the exercise has underscored several key points for me. Here is a list:
My sister is a woman of refreshing candor. I know that eventually, in a face-to-face conversation, she will ask me how I am doing spiritually. Often, she'll phrase it as, "So, how is your heart today?" I know the aim of her sentimental question. She wants me to disclose the deep down "spiritual stuff", the part of life that's focused on following Christ and how that part is really working out.
My sister's genuine question is not prefaced with accusation or under-girded with condemnation. It is posed to assist me, to bring words to my soul expressions, to help distill triumphs of God's grace and pin-point areas where I still need to be saved. Answering the questions is healthy, needed, therapeutic. And I know she will pray for me, through the triumphs and failures.
The Sunday School class your Daddy and I are attending is exploring evangelism, or practical ways to share the good news of Jesus' Death and Resurrection with others. The facilitator offered two common methods of evangelism: the in-your-face direct method, where you jump into a spiritual conversation with a stranger sitting beside you on the place; and the more time consuming friendship method, where you build a relationship over pizza and hockey so you have earned the right to talk about God. Both methods have their pros and cons. Of course, method two, that is "Friendship Evangelism", resonates with me much more.
Yet, the more I think about this whole Evangelism thing, I sigh. I don't like treating people as projects. And this is not to say that if you are engaging in evangelism (as Paul exhorted Timothy to do in 2 Timothy 4:5), you are viewing the person you are evangelizing as "Christian Conversion File #3". However, a person can be tempted to do just that, that is to build a fake relationship with a person for the sole purpose of manipulating the conversation towards spiritual things without truly seeing the person for who he or she is.
I came across a fascinating author a few months ago, namely Rosaria Butterfield, who has written Secrets Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert (a book I have yet to read). As she shared details of her conversion story, she talks of Ken Smith, a Presbyterian pastor, who was instrumental in her choosing to follow Christ at a huge cost to her career and lesbian lifestyle. Ken didn't share the gospel with her through some tract. He didn't invite her to church. He didn't engage in "Friendship Evangelism". But rather Ken and his wife, Floy, were Rosaria's friends. AND, they encouraged Rosaria to read the Bible. It was through a genuine friendship, through the reading of the Word and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit that Rosaria accepted Christ's love and forgiveness.
Now I am not here to discount authentic conversion stories where individuals choose Christ as a result of a "Four Spiritual Laws" university blitz or a friendship evangelism project of an altruistic Christian. But I am realizing more and more that these two methods are not what I naturally gravitate towards. I want to be someone's friend, first and foremost. The friend you are willing to disclose your junk to (yes, even Christians struggle with brokenness). The friend you can celebrate with. The friend who sees your tears. The friend who really knows if Christ is making any sort of difference in the way I live my life now. And I think part of providing a testament about the difference Christ has made in my life is sharing stories of the disciplines God uses in the Christian's life to impart His grace. Prayer. Solitude. Fasting. Sabbath. Service. Worship. Silence. And yes, Confession & Bible Reading.
Now back to my church to wrap this up. I am appreciating the challenge of asking my fellow church-mates if they are intentionally connecting with God through confession and Bible reading. But the exercise has underscored several key points for me. Here is a list:
- If I am finding it uncomfortable asking congregation members about their spiritual journey, then maybe that is why it is difficult for me to breach the topic with my non-Christian friends. So, if I encourage myself to ask Christians the spiritual questions (especially those I am not super close to), will it become easier talking about such topics with those who do not believe?
- When asked the question, "Did you read your Bible today?" and my answer is "Yes!", am I tempted to be prideful? If so, I am missing the point of drawing near to God. AND, if I ask the question of others in a position of judgement instead of advocacy, then I am imposing shame on others, which is not beneficial. In the end, I desire to be a humble advocate as I ask, and answer, the question (like my sister (thanks sis!)).
- Don't underestimate the power of God's Word. It can change even the hardest heart. Maybe I should spend more time encouraging people to read the Bible instead of trying to eloquently (or in my case, pathetically) explain spiritual truths to them.
- Yes, Bible reading is vital. My previous point emphasized just that. But what spiritual disciplines are equally important? Are we remiss in not encouraging silence and solitude? Or fasting (which I struggle with, especially if fasting means no food)? After all, our high literacy rates are only a recent historical phenomena. Did Mary, Mother of Jesus, read the Old Testament during a quiet time? How did she seek God?
- How do I follow Christ so He is the center of my entire day instead of the focus of only my "devotion time"? What about at 4:46 p.m., when the piano lesson with my dear child is exasperating and supper needs to be put in the oven by 5:00 p.m.? How do I embrace God's grace in such a real moment?
So... did you read your Bible today? :)