Delightfully Wrong {We're Welcoming Refugees!}
I sat around a table surrounded by various church leaders in our city. There was mostly men present, a few women, and only one visible minority (that is, me). The pastor hosting the meeting welcomed us and showed us a video clip of a Lebanese pastor who, in spite of a small congregation, obeyed the call to assist 1,500 Syria refugee families. The command "Love your enemies" took on a real meaning as the congregation welcomed destitute person after destitute person. God equipped and provided in miraculous ways.
The video clip was paused, and our host looked at us with conviction, "If they can welcome 1,500 families, we certainly can welcome a few." All of us nodded in agreement.
I am pleased to confess that I was delightfully wrong. In Daunting {But Not Impossible}, I wondered if anyone in this corner of the prairies would ever be compelled to welcome refugee families to this city. I felt overwhelmed with the need across the ocean and wondered what in the world a small middle class family living on one income could possibly do to assist in the crisis. I desired to join a local movement for positive action, but felt discouraged as the church seemed silent.
But the church in this city is not silent. There were many denominations surrounding the table at which I sat. Each leader was resolute to show compassion no matter what. Each felt action should be driven by love instead of fear.
So I pause at the cusp of something big, something overwhelming good. I pray that God will be glorified and that everyone involved will come to know the compassionate person of Jesus through the process. I pray for unwavering unity among the churches and unprecedented community support. And I pray for the refugees that arrive here. May they experience peace, joy, faith, hope and love.
I encourage you, dear Reader, to become involved in your local community in making refugee resettlement a positive experience. Need some resources or inspiration? Check out MCC for ideas. Or would you like to get involved in what is happening in my city? Contact me (if you know me, that is) for ways to contribute.
The video clip was paused, and our host looked at us with conviction, "If they can welcome 1,500 families, we certainly can welcome a few." All of us nodded in agreement.
I am pleased to confess that I was delightfully wrong. In Daunting {But Not Impossible}, I wondered if anyone in this corner of the prairies would ever be compelled to welcome refugee families to this city. I felt overwhelmed with the need across the ocean and wondered what in the world a small middle class family living on one income could possibly do to assist in the crisis. I desired to join a local movement for positive action, but felt discouraged as the church seemed silent.
But the church in this city is not silent. There were many denominations surrounding the table at which I sat. Each leader was resolute to show compassion no matter what. Each felt action should be driven by love instead of fear.
So I pause at the cusp of something big, something overwhelming good. I pray that God will be glorified and that everyone involved will come to know the compassionate person of Jesus through the process. I pray for unwavering unity among the churches and unprecedented community support. And I pray for the refugees that arrive here. May they experience peace, joy, faith, hope and love.
I encourage you, dear Reader, to become involved in your local community in making refugee resettlement a positive experience. Need some resources or inspiration? Check out MCC for ideas. Or would you like to get involved in what is happening in my city? Contact me (if you know me, that is) for ways to contribute.