This School Year I Resolve...
Yesterday, I found myself in the stationary store, filling my cart with school supplies while methodically checking items off a list. You two kids were exploring the surrounding treasures or accompanying your Dad as he picked up items from obscure aisles. Part of me was giddy, as I soaked in the aroma of new wax crayons and the sight of fan-dangled binders. I loved school as a kid and purchasing school supplies brought back happy memories of learning.
The other part of me was sad at the end of two very quick months of random schedules and flexible timelines. I have enjoyed viewing more cork board than paper on our family's bulletin board. I have thrived in a more relaxed environment, where we awoke when we wanted to (well, you kids anyway) and enjoyed quieter weekdays. Plus, it was been great to have your Daddy home.
Soon, the schedules will begin, the alarms will sound, the school newsletters will arrive. And we will rush off to catch the big yellowish-orange bus for another 160+ days.
Many people enjoy making New Year's resolutions for January 1. But for the teacher in me, resolutions seem fitting for September 1. And as I begin a new school year supporting you, my daughter, in your elementary adventure and facilitating learning opportunities for you, my preschool son, I aim the following:
The other part of me was sad at the end of two very quick months of random schedules and flexible timelines. I have enjoyed viewing more cork board than paper on our family's bulletin board. I have thrived in a more relaxed environment, where we awoke when we wanted to (well, you kids anyway) and enjoyed quieter weekdays. Plus, it was been great to have your Daddy home.
Soon, the schedules will begin, the alarms will sound, the school newsletters will arrive. And we will rush off to catch the big yellowish-orange bus for another 160+ days.
Many people enjoy making New Year's resolutions for January 1. But for the teacher in me, resolutions seem fitting for September 1. And as I begin a new school year supporting you, my daughter, in your elementary adventure and facilitating learning opportunities for you, my preschool son, I aim the following:
- Stress Less. Stress, even day-to-day lunch making, laundry folding stress can (and has) aggravated my body, especially my gut. I need to find ways to slow down and calm down. I realize more and more that I do not like to be rushed. Thus, I must find ways to plan ahead to avoid panic. I also need to find moments of peace to quiet my body, my mind and my spirit. I am not sure how that will look like, as I detest scheduling in something and then failing to keep the schedule. I must trust God to lead me in this area.
- Worry Less. Your Daddy told me the other day, "Rain, you worry about too many things." Yup, I do. It is a problem. But I think I am getting closer to the "cure" of my life long condition. It rests in understanding God's character. Do I believe God is in control no matter what? Do I know God is good? Do I understand that God has equipped me with everything I need to live the Christian life in the here and now? Do I rest in the fact that God will never leave me and forsake me? I hate to admit it, but often I don't truly believe in who God really is. Holy Spirit, help me understand the Trinity more this year.
- Listen More. There are days I find myself in a less than desirable state as a Mother and Wife. More often than not, I rush around from one task to another, sometimes out of obligation, sometimes out of escape. And I fail to really listen to the ones closest to me. Forgive me kids. I ask God to help me engage in your now.
- Listen More. No, this is not a typo, but rather a double reminder for me to listen to God's leading in my life. There are rare moments when I allow myself to quiet down for an hour, as I did during our Family Camp experience. And in those times, I eventually hear God's voice, whispering some admonition or encouraging my spirit. I need to seek out such experiences more. On the other, I need to be attuned to God's voice in the day-to-day, when I often need guidance the most. Do I believe God can meet me in the middle of childhood conflicts, adult miscommunications, financial crisis or unsettling news? I believe He can.