On Hosting a Missionary

Dear Children,

Years ago, your Nana, Nani, Mausies, Mamu, and I travelled to Ontario for a family wedding. Since the bride's house was filled with immediate family, we were billeted at the home of an elderly couple from our relatives' church. This couple was an inspiration! They had rearranged their home so that one section was furnished for the exclusive use of visiting missionaries and their families. There were several guest rooms and even a separate living room for tired minds and souls to enjoy in quiet solitude. In the morning, a delicious breakfast appeared at the dining room table to be savoured just as family. In the background, a huge bulletin board was filled with innumerable missionary prayers cards.

This home was a retreat, a peaceful respite, a place to hear God's voice when away from foreign lands. I hoped that my home would be like this one day.

We are currently in the midst of a Missions emphasis at our church for the month of April. Your Daddy and I along with other committee members just completed one half of our two part Missions Sunday School. Our goal has been to encourage our young kids to engage in Missions by (1) Praying, (2) Giving, and (3) Going. As part of our responsibilities for the weekend, we eagerly agreed to host one of our denomination's missionaries in our home.

I think we selected the fun job!

There is something invigorating about hosting a missionary in your home. These individuals, couples or families are on the "front lines" of Christian service, so to speak. I know I must avoid placing people on pedestals. However, I do believe missionaries deserve special honor, especially for the sacrifices they make for the sake of the Gospel. And yes, while missionaries are regular people accompanied with their own set of hang-ups, personal issues, family problems, and stresses, they still tend to exude a deeper concern for the souls of people, more so than the average Christian. I guess it is their gift?

The missionary who visited our home had such a gentle spirit about her, one that granted people permission to share their thoughts and fears and joys. So I talked. Processed. Reflected. Out loud, in front of her and over dirty dishes in a sud-filled sink. And she just listened. I spoke of how I struggle with coveting the lives of missionaries and how I often wish I was the one called to live in a foreign land. I processed my reasons for staying here, in this small section of the prairies where life is safe and predictable and comfortable. I reflected on the road that brought me to this point in time, to this stage of life. And I concluded: "In the end I need to walk in obedience to where God leads. And for now, He has led me here."

Interestingly enough, our house was not the quiet place of solitude that I appreciated years ago at the home in Ontario. You two kids were bouncing and jumping around while interrupting almost every sentence I attempted to speak in conversation with our missionary. Our newly painted kitchen cupboard doors are still unattached (except one), so we look like we are camping as we pull out utensils from a Rubbermaid container. I tend to have a "help yourself" attitude to breakfast as I parade around the house in my pajamas. And our missionary prayer bulletin board is still encased in plastic and stored in a closet!

In spite of the disconnect between my image of a missionary's place of retreat and our reality, our guest leaves this note of thanks to all of us, including you two, "Thank you so much for the wonderful hospitality you've shown me this weekend! You've welcomed me well! May God's power that is at work in you give you joy and bring many more to rejoice in His Kingdom!"

Dear children, I encourage you to make your homes a place where people can retreat from their lives to be encouraged (and most probably they will encourage you back). But remember: your home doesn't have to be perfect to be a blessing to others. You don't need a custom built kitchen to entertain. You don't need a five course dinner to impress. You don't need coordinated linens or Jacquard bedspreads. And for that matter, all your kids' toys don't need to be neatly put away.

But what you need is a willingness to share your lives with others. To be real. Genuine. And gracious. While a general attention to cleanliness is an asset, it is not absolutely necessary. Remember that when you get spontaneous dinner guests and the only thing you can manage to whip up at a moment's notice is pancakes!

As for missionaries, please pray for them. Please listen to their stories, as such testimonies will strengthen your faith. Please commit to financially supporting one or two (or more) of them on a regular basis. And please go where they live, even for just a little while, so you can understand the challenges they face. And whether you are called to live here or there, tell others about Jesus, with gentleness, grace and love.

Love,
Your Mommy

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now