The Kingdom of Heaven is Here
Dear Children,
I was scared into the Kingdom. At the age of six, I sat in church, doodling on my Sunday School papers when the preacher got to me. "You are a sinner." Yup, I'd agree. "You are heading to Hell," came the fiery conclusion. Uh-oh! Don't want to go there. Thus, THE "Prayer" was said. And right there and then, I was officially "Born-Again."
I don't doubt my conversion experience. That moment was life changing for me. My memories of that time are vivid! However, I kind of wish I wasn't scared into believing. The reason for my regret is I think this experience as well as a lot of theology I was taught as a kid contributed to my image of a God hell-bent on punishing His creation. Grace was a foreign concept.
Now kids, let me set the record straight. I am not denying that the concept of Hell exists (i.e. separation from God). I just question how it physically looks like. But this post isn't about dissecting the details of the afterlife. Rather, I write this post because there have been several deaths in our church's congregation. Four God-fearing, God-loving believers have passed on to Glory. So, this got me thinking about you two and how much I desire for you to choose to be Christ-followers. That way, one day you can spend eternity in Heaven, when you pass from this world to the next. But in addition to that, I really want you to live abundantly by experiencing the freedom and joy of following Christ in the here and now, in spite of hardship and sorrow!!!
But, I don't want to scare you into choosing Christ above all else. And I don't want to trick you into saying the magic conversion prayer (which isn't in scripture, by the way, nor is the phrase "asking Jesus into my heart") during some contrived moment. I desire for your decision to follow Christ to be intentionally guided by the knowledge that (1) you are a sinner; (2) only Christ's work on the cross can save you from the consequences of sin; and (3) you need to accept His Saving Grace and Lordship over your life. I am praying that the eyes of your heart will be opened to see the truth.
Last Sunday was Celebrate Missions Sunday at our church. Your Daddy and I were on the planning committee and we worked hard to make this Sunday a reality. By God's Grace, it was an encouraging morning. And I was reminded once again of our Mission as Christians: To go into the whole world and preach the Gospel to every nation!
Yet, at this point in time, I believe God has called me to live here in a quasi-Christian suburbia where there are numerous churches to choose from. Sometimes I feel guilty living in such spiritual freedom and material prosperity. After all, statistics show that $5 out of every $100 North Americans tithe goes to Missions of which only 5 cents goes to unreached people groups where there is no church! That is disturbing.
Why do I tell you this, my children? Well, I want you to know that at this moment I choose to let you go to tell others about the transforming power found in Jesus Christ. Forget the North American dream of hording precious resources to build our castles here in a land of plenty when so many people out there are without (so I remind myself over and over and over again)!!! Go and meet people in their moments of need where ever that may be! Clothe them, feed them, sincerely love them, and tell them about Jesus. After all, the Kingdom of Heaven is already here!
In the meanwhile, you two are my Mission field. Just yesterday, we talked about Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. It was beautiful to share God's truths with you. I trust, in faith, with your Daddy, that one day you will embrace God's Word with passion! May your spiritual eyes see His salvation!
In His Loving Grip,
Your Mommy
I was scared into the Kingdom. At the age of six, I sat in church, doodling on my Sunday School papers when the preacher got to me. "You are a sinner." Yup, I'd agree. "You are heading to Hell," came the fiery conclusion. Uh-oh! Don't want to go there. Thus, THE "Prayer" was said. And right there and then, I was officially "Born-Again."
I don't doubt my conversion experience. That moment was life changing for me. My memories of that time are vivid! However, I kind of wish I wasn't scared into believing. The reason for my regret is I think this experience as well as a lot of theology I was taught as a kid contributed to my image of a God hell-bent on punishing His creation. Grace was a foreign concept.
Now kids, let me set the record straight. I am not denying that the concept of Hell exists (i.e. separation from God). I just question how it physically looks like. But this post isn't about dissecting the details of the afterlife. Rather, I write this post because there have been several deaths in our church's congregation. Four God-fearing, God-loving believers have passed on to Glory. So, this got me thinking about you two and how much I desire for you to choose to be Christ-followers. That way, one day you can spend eternity in Heaven, when you pass from this world to the next. But in addition to that, I really want you to live abundantly by experiencing the freedom and joy of following Christ in the here and now, in spite of hardship and sorrow!!!
But, I don't want to scare you into choosing Christ above all else. And I don't want to trick you into saying the magic conversion prayer (which isn't in scripture, by the way, nor is the phrase "asking Jesus into my heart") during some contrived moment. I desire for your decision to follow Christ to be intentionally guided by the knowledge that (1) you are a sinner; (2) only Christ's work on the cross can save you from the consequences of sin; and (3) you need to accept His Saving Grace and Lordship over your life. I am praying that the eyes of your heart will be opened to see the truth.
Last Sunday was Celebrate Missions Sunday at our church. Your Daddy and I were on the planning committee and we worked hard to make this Sunday a reality. By God's Grace, it was an encouraging morning. And I was reminded once again of our Mission as Christians: To go into the whole world and preach the Gospel to every nation!
Yet, at this point in time, I believe God has called me to live here in a quasi-Christian suburbia where there are numerous churches to choose from. Sometimes I feel guilty living in such spiritual freedom and material prosperity. After all, statistics show that $5 out of every $100 North Americans tithe goes to Missions of which only 5 cents goes to unreached people groups where there is no church! That is disturbing.
Why do I tell you this, my children? Well, I want you to know that at this moment I choose to let you go to tell others about the transforming power found in Jesus Christ. Forget the North American dream of hording precious resources to build our castles here in a land of plenty when so many people out there are without (so I remind myself over and over and over again)!!! Go and meet people in their moments of need where ever that may be! Clothe them, feed them, sincerely love them, and tell them about Jesus. After all, the Kingdom of Heaven is already here!
In the meanwhile, you two are my Mission field. Just yesterday, we talked about Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. It was beautiful to share God's truths with you. I trust, in faith, with your Daddy, that one day you will embrace God's Word with passion! May your spiritual eyes see His salvation!
In His Loving Grip,
Your Mommy