Calling All Families of Two

This is most probably IT. Two kids. No more. We discussed this topic while we were dating. We were pretty certain. If God so willed for us to have children, TWO would be our magic number. Why? Many reasons, several of which centered on taking our age, adding twenty or so years, and realizing how old we would be when our last child would graduate.

Yet I fear. Both my husband and I come from larger families. We love our siblings. We get along. We actually enjoying being in the same space as each other. We believe in being open and honest with each other. And when disagreements arise, we strive towards healing.

In the younger years, we cherished the synergy that was generated by having more than one sibling. Personally, I remember being close to each sibling during different periods of my life. And when one sibling was being incredibly annoying, another sibling provided moral support during those "tragic" days as a child. I could not imagine my life without my siblings. I am sure my husband would agree.

Two kids. So, what if they don't get along? What if they hate each other? What if they go their separate ways in life and never talk to each other? Are these questions generated out of paranoia on my part? Maybe. But I believe my fears are fueled by encountering many families of two adult children that seem discontent.

For instance, I have met many women who have just one sister. The sisters are very different in personality and don't have much in common. Often one is quite responsible (the elder) and the other is very phlegmatic (the younger). The sisters spend time with each other more out of obligation than joy. And sometimes, the relationship between the two sisters is marked by competition.

Or I have encountered women who have just one brother. Because of the different genders, the competition level is less in comparison to same gender sibling pairs. Usually the siblings enjoy being with one another. However, the two siblings find it difficult to disclose gender specific issues with each other. It seems like the female sibling often longs for a sister. Maybe the brother feels the same way? I don't know, since I tend to be friends with the sister.

As for families with just two brothers, I am not sure about the dynamics since I have limited experiences with observing such an example.

I understand that every family composition has its challenges. And no matter how many children one elects to raise, the parents still have to encourage the children to get along and to learn to love each other. Nonetheless, I am asking for advice. I am calling all families of two. What did your parents do (or didn't do) to foster a healthy and happy sibling relationship? Or if you are currently parenting two children, what are you doing in this area? I'd like to know.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now