Six in One Deal
The following six blog posts are short reflections on various topics in the author’s mind. Reader discretion is advised.
Virtual Good Byes. After informing family and my husband’s circle of friends, I announced our move on this blog followed by an e-mail to my personal contacts. Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed by the couple of comments after my blog entry. Apparently our move isn’t a big deal. However, on further reflection, I realize that most of the people who read my blog also receive my e-mails. Thus, I did receive many messages expressing congratulations and sadness over our departure. Interestingly enough, the responses have been virtual except for a few phone calls from family and friends. I must say, I miss the “here-and-now” responses. But I guess it goes both ways. I didn’t phone everyone. So what else should I expect?
Post Partum Body. It has been a blessing to receive a beautiful baby boy after nine months of pregnancy. But it is discouraging to step on the scale and realize I have much work to do in order to reach my pre-pregnancy form. On top of it, nothing really fits. My maternity clothes make me look four months pregnant while my regular clothing is far too tight. Stretch pants are my companions these days. Anyway, I wish I could engage in some intense work-out routine. But my children are pretty demanding at this age. And since I am nursing, I am always hungry, tired, and occupied! People keep on telling me that I need to give myself time. Thus, I am aiming to enjoy this little baby stage a much as possible while trying not to look in the mirror too closely.
The Waiting Game. I feel my life is in a state of flux. After engaging in five intense days of cleaning and packing, we transformed our condominium into the semblance of a show suite. Now we are spending our days elsewhere. I miss my kitchen, along with other things. And in many ways I wish we could extract our condo from its foundation and move it along with us to a beautiful lot with a yard. Nonetheless, we are hoping and praying this property sells fast so we can use the equity to buy a home. This waiting game drives me crazy, since so much is contingent on the sale of our home. We need to be patient, trust God, and wait for the right buyer.
Little Piece of Paradise. I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my in-laws. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, since I have heard of many stories of people who dread similar encounters. Right now, I am composing this entry at my in-laws homestead. Birds are singing in the numerous trees. Gorgeous flowers are in bloom. And my daughter is singing songs with her Grandmother and Aunty. Earlier, I managed to fit in a morning walk. Things were so quiet and peaceful. The air was clean, crisp, and fragrant. I felt energized. Soon, more family will arrive and my daughter will be in her glory while playing with her cousins. I am relaxed in this little piece of paradise in spite of our housing uncertainty.
G-What?!?! The G20 came and went. And what do we have to show for it? A billion dollar price tag for Canadian taxpayers. And a fake lake. It seems like such international gatherings are a colossal waste of time and money. And nothing of value is accomplished. Plus it doesn’t help when the event is hosted in a metropolis such as Toronto where security is a nightmare. You know what I think? The Canadian government should have donated the billion dollars to a worthy cause in the developing world. Then all the G20 leaders should have made a huge conference call using satellite technology to discuss global issues. Definitely not as dramatic as watching the same footage of a burning police car over and over again.
Vicarious Sports Fan. I am a vicarious sports fan through the eyes of my husband. My husband enjoys watching numerous sports such as hockey, football, curling, and tennis. Before meeting him, I was the very occasional sports fan. I got into the Olympics because it was a matter of patriotism. I watched figure skating since I participated in the sport as a child. I enjoyed the token game of football if it involved our provincial team. Since I have been married, my knowledge and appreciation of sports has dramatically increased. And one thing I admire about my husband is how he can get into a sport even if it isn’t his favorite. Lately, we are enjoying the FIFA World Cup (minus the annoying horns). And since my husband has Dutch Mennonite roots, we are rooting for the Netherlands. Go Dutch Go!
Virtual Good Byes. After informing family and my husband’s circle of friends, I announced our move on this blog followed by an e-mail to my personal contacts. Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed by the couple of comments after my blog entry. Apparently our move isn’t a big deal. However, on further reflection, I realize that most of the people who read my blog also receive my e-mails. Thus, I did receive many messages expressing congratulations and sadness over our departure. Interestingly enough, the responses have been virtual except for a few phone calls from family and friends. I must say, I miss the “here-and-now” responses. But I guess it goes both ways. I didn’t phone everyone. So what else should I expect?
Post Partum Body. It has been a blessing to receive a beautiful baby boy after nine months of pregnancy. But it is discouraging to step on the scale and realize I have much work to do in order to reach my pre-pregnancy form. On top of it, nothing really fits. My maternity clothes make me look four months pregnant while my regular clothing is far too tight. Stretch pants are my companions these days. Anyway, I wish I could engage in some intense work-out routine. But my children are pretty demanding at this age. And since I am nursing, I am always hungry, tired, and occupied! People keep on telling me that I need to give myself time. Thus, I am aiming to enjoy this little baby stage a much as possible while trying not to look in the mirror too closely.
The Waiting Game. I feel my life is in a state of flux. After engaging in five intense days of cleaning and packing, we transformed our condominium into the semblance of a show suite. Now we are spending our days elsewhere. I miss my kitchen, along with other things. And in many ways I wish we could extract our condo from its foundation and move it along with us to a beautiful lot with a yard. Nonetheless, we are hoping and praying this property sells fast so we can use the equity to buy a home. This waiting game drives me crazy, since so much is contingent on the sale of our home. We need to be patient, trust God, and wait for the right buyer.
Little Piece of Paradise. I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my in-laws. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, since I have heard of many stories of people who dread similar encounters. Right now, I am composing this entry at my in-laws homestead. Birds are singing in the numerous trees. Gorgeous flowers are in bloom. And my daughter is singing songs with her Grandmother and Aunty. Earlier, I managed to fit in a morning walk. Things were so quiet and peaceful. The air was clean, crisp, and fragrant. I felt energized. Soon, more family will arrive and my daughter will be in her glory while playing with her cousins. I am relaxed in this little piece of paradise in spite of our housing uncertainty.
G-What?!?! The G20 came and went. And what do we have to show for it? A billion dollar price tag for Canadian taxpayers. And a fake lake. It seems like such international gatherings are a colossal waste of time and money. And nothing of value is accomplished. Plus it doesn’t help when the event is hosted in a metropolis such as Toronto where security is a nightmare. You know what I think? The Canadian government should have donated the billion dollars to a worthy cause in the developing world. Then all the G20 leaders should have made a huge conference call using satellite technology to discuss global issues. Definitely not as dramatic as watching the same footage of a burning police car over and over again.
Vicarious Sports Fan. I am a vicarious sports fan through the eyes of my husband. My husband enjoys watching numerous sports such as hockey, football, curling, and tennis. Before meeting him, I was the very occasional sports fan. I got into the Olympics because it was a matter of patriotism. I watched figure skating since I participated in the sport as a child. I enjoyed the token game of football if it involved our provincial team. Since I have been married, my knowledge and appreciation of sports has dramatically increased. And one thing I admire about my husband is how he can get into a sport even if it isn’t his favorite. Lately, we are enjoying the FIFA World Cup (minus the annoying horns). And since my husband has Dutch Mennonite roots, we are rooting for the Netherlands. Go Dutch Go!